Small punch press - should I?

Yup, just buy it, the need will follow. Post pictures once she is in your shop please.

Shawn

Well I say you build a race car and then use that to punch all the holes in the body for the rivets.

C'mon, you know youre going to call the guy eventually and find out just how cheap he will let it go. You might as well get it over with and get started clearing out a spot for it to reside in as well as display the dies. If you go ahead and do it now, you will be almost done tinkering with it about the time you would have eventually gotten around to it anyway..... So the overwhelming majotity sez go fer it. And Man Rule #856 sez if'n more'n one of yer man frendz sez yu need a tool, then ya gotta get it from the flea market that next Saturday morning.....Or yu looz yer man card fer 6 munts....

Bob

Yes, Paul, I am afraid you are experiencing the same serious malady that all of us here at H-M are afflicted with. I do not know the name of it, but there is no known cure. Symptoms can be abated by the acquisition of new to you machines and tools. This disease is so serious that some members have even made a business of obtaining equipment and using it everyday to make parts for other people, and can even make a living from it.

This affliction can affect different people in different ways. I seem to get by with obtaining something new (to me) about once a year, but others are not so fortunate, and their thirst for machines cannot be easily quenched. They search Craig's List, eBay, and other online auctions relentlessly, always on the hunt for machines and tools, both common and exotic. It is a slippery slope, my friend, be careful. Be very careful. SWMBO can often get in the way of the acquisition of the things that help to ease the symptoms, but she is innocent, as she does not understand our affliction. Be kind to her and beg for her mercy in the hope that she may take pity on you and not interfere.

Last but not least, this disease seems to be worse for those that have developed an affinity for what we call 'old iron'. Those machines carry a curse that make the symptoms of the disease even worse for its victims.

Luckily, you have come to the right place to seek out help. H-M does not have a twelve step program, but support is given freely by many.

Madame Zelda tells me that she sees a noisy machine in your future, one that goes ka-chunk, ka-chunk, but she warns that you must keep your fingers and hands clear of the moving apparatus, lest you be drawn in and injured.

Now, go my son, and contemplate what the future holds in store for you, but do not fear what has befallen you. Embrace it and treat your symptoms in a proper manner.

It's just so small and cute I want to need it. Am I sick???

Paul.

I had a good chuckle at the responses :rofl:

But again... what the heck am I going to use it for? I was wondering if I could turn it into a mechanical hammer for forging knife blades but the risk is bottoming it out and cracking the frame. Anyway, I will have a sticky beak at it today if I can get away from work early and keep my fellow "infected" informed.

Paul.

Well I had a quick look at the machine today and the gent originally
wanted $800 for it. He then dropped the price to $700 and while I was
there he offered it to me for $350. He wants it gone and when he asked
what I would pay, I said I could not justify more than $150 as I really
had no need for the machine other than to satisfy some sick need to own
every type of machine ever built.

I think I'll wait another week
and then offer him the $150 again. He needs the space and is too old to
move it himself. It looks to be a 6 ton press so it was heavier duty
than I first imagined. It also had safety handles that needed to be
activated by each hand before it could be used (which had been
de-activated :dunno: )

It's a Danish built machine and quite compact. Enjoy the extra pictures:

dml press 1.jpgdml press 2.jpgdml press 3.jpgdml press 4.jpg

The accessories were not much to write home about - a die for punching crosses and some dies for making traditional Norwegian jewellery for the traditional women's dress:

bunadssølv.jpg

This isn't something I have thought of getting into. Out of curiosity, what thickness of aluminium plate could it punch out?

Paul.

dml press 1.jpg dml press 2.jpg dml press 3.jpg dml press 4.jpg bunadssølv.jpg

I have come across a small flywheel punch press. The owner will likely part with it for a fraction of the asking price as it has been sitting for a long time. Problem is... what on earth can I use it for? I always wanted one but not sure why. I imagined using one with a dimple die for making brackets etc... but I can't see needing it often. Given it's small size, it won't be able to handle heavy stock as I would guess it would be about a 2 ton (metric) press. Apparently it was used by a goldsmith and comes with a box of dies.

Anyway, pics below:

View attachment 83397
View attachment 83398

It's just so small and cute I want to need it. Am I sick???

Paul.

What is the tonnage 1 or 5 tons? What is the length of the stroke? Either way it looks good and clean. I've seen smaller bench models before, used to make IC sockets, in a very small shop.

A word of advise, whether you have used one before or not. The little beast as well as it's bigger cousins will double trip at least once every 1 million cycles. That was the Safety Drill they kept telling us. Double Trip means the clutch will engage by itself usually at startup even with all the safety equipment. Please keep fingers out of the area under the ram when operating.

There might be a scribe mark on the outside of the crank to help indicate the bottom of the stroke for easier setup. If not it is something that can be added.

After saying all above it is a nice find. Bid low and start raising your offer by $20. Go get it

Thanks for the advice Bill. This machine is a 6 ton (6000 kg) press. I was thinking of making some brackets for number plates for the racing scene from aluminium plate - about 2mm thick. Could this handle punching the holes so I don't have to bore them to lighten the brackets? they would be about 30mm in diameter.

When he ran it I estimated it had about a 30mm stroke although it may have been adjustable.

As for safety, I don't plan on making any adjustments while it is running. I lost a toe when a forklift failed and I consider that as a lesson learned.

Also, what would you value it at given it's condition? Everything is tight and works as it should. It had been well cared for and oiled regularly.

Paul.

Well I had a quick look at the machine today and the gent originally
wanted $800 for it. He then dropped the price to $700 and while I was
there he offered it to me for $350. He wants it gone and when he asked
what I would pay, I said I could not justify more than $150 as I really
had no need for the machine other than to satisfy some sick need to own
every type of machine ever built.

I think I'll wait another week
and then offer him the $150 again. He needs the space and is too old to
move it himself. It looks to be a 6 ton press so it was heavier duty
than I first imagined. It also had safety handles that needed to be
activated by each hand before it could be used (which had been
de-activated :dunno: )

It's a Danish built machine and quite compact. Enjoy the extra pictures:

View attachment 83465View attachment 83466View attachment 83467View attachment 83468

The accessories were not much to write home about - a die for punching crosses and some dies for making traditional Norwegian jewellery for the traditional women's dress:

View attachment 83469

This isn't something I have thought of getting into. Out of curiosity, what thickness of aluminium plate could it punch out?

Paul.

All you can do is offer your top price. That is still better compared to scrap price. If you get it rub it down with machine oil and cover it up till you come up with a project. I like it.

Back