Strange Morse Taper drill bits. What do then fit?

LX Kid

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I have these drill bits that are smaller than a MT-1. The tips are approximately 68 degrees and made in the USA. Maybe a MT-0. Any idea what machine they might fit? Thanks

20240516_081109.jpg

What is the major and miner diameter and over all length of the tapper? Someone will be able to confirm the tapper. Could be a B&S #_ tapper what thread size are they.

Scale, please. I agree with raised, the taper looks too steep to be a MT.

By scale, I mean put something like a coin, a ruler, or something that we can get the scale of the bits.

Here are the specs for most of the MT's out there.

1715906337734.png

Scale, please. I agree with raised, the taper looks too steep to be a MT.

By scale, I mean put something like a coin, a ruler, or something that we can get the scale of the bits.

Here are the specs for most of the MT's out there.

View attachment 490270
I saved this and will print it out and laminate it. I make what I call hangers for my shop. Drill Tap charts etc. laminated and hung with a magnetic hook where they are quick and easy to get to Thanks for posting. .

Length of taper 7/8"
Small End .324"
Large End .371"
Tip Point. Aprox. 68 deg.

They probably not even a Morse Taper. Don't know what they could be. The far left is an MT-1 for size scale. Maybe they are early dentist drills! LoL

20240516_080759 (1).jpg

Last edited:
Might they be Jacobs tapers?

(wild-ass, completely idle guess, based on nothing but the fact they're drills, BTW, don't mock me too hard :oops::big grin:)

The far left is an MT-1 for size scale.

Just a question. What machine has a MT1 taper on the tailstock socket? I'm assuming that you've put a live center in the picture to give us scale. And, BTW, that really doesn't give us the scale. That part could have any of the Morris tapers shown above, with an equivalently sized bearing package and center point. That's like putting a cookie in the picture. Is the cookie 1", 2", 4", or 12" in diameter? We still don't know.

Back