Strange Morse Taper drill bits. What do then fit?

I had a hammer drill that used taper shank bits. They were designates as an A taper. I never found specs for the hammer drill taper.

Hmmm, interesting. I haven’t done the math to compare but here’s a sheet on both “A” and (you guessed it) “B” taper shank bits for use in hammer drills. They call out the tapers as 1:20 and 1:10 respectively.

Attachments

• page_154.pdf
    56.4 KB · Views: 7
I've often wondered why each Morris & B&S taper has to have been made at a different angle.

I've often wondered why each Morris & B&S taper has to have been made at a different angle.

Different ways of thinking... Inches per foot, percent taper, minutes of angle... All are clean and rational on paper in their own systems, but look like random numbers and strings of decimals on tables when compared to each other.

Inches per foot, percent taper, minutes of angle... All are clean and rational on paper
OK, That's fine, but why is the taper different on a MT2 than on an MT3 ---- etc. It's not much different so why?

OK, That's fine, but why is the taper different on a MT2 than on an MT3 ---- etc. It's not much different so why?
Might be something silly, like use what you had on hand and make it a standard, even though what you had wasn't standard... Beats me why the tapers vary slightly.

In my way of thinking this is like making the king's foot the standard foot, even though they differ from one another. On Monday's they used his right foot, on Tuesday it was his left.... Think the tapers differ because of a screw up... If not a screw up, what might the reason be?

Perhaps Morse stub taper, or.. I found the FB list for mill cutters with B&S 20r taper.. which I cannot find info on.

Attachments

• 2024-05-22_18-58-59.jpg
    2024-05-22_18-58-59.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 12
  • 2024-05-22_18-59-39.jpg
    2024-05-22_18-59-39.jpg
    213.2 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Does anyone know what the drill tip is designed to cut into what metals?

Same reason ford and Chevy make different engines.

Could be anything from patent issues to making a better mousetrap.

Back