Suggested Sticky

I have seen alot of recommendation to newbies on what equipment to buy.
They are sound suggestions, but, they seem to not take into account the space, and power available to the newbie.
I know to some, price and space is not a factor, but some do have space, $ and power available limitations.
It would be nice if we could guide new users in the right direction.
For instance, I only have 2 110V outlets, and a 28" walk in door access to my shop, and it shares space with lawn care and home repair stuff.
No way I can fit a BP or a 13x40 220V 3ph lathe in there.
It woud be very considerate to ask about the space, power available, etc. before recommending something that will not work in their space.

On the contrary, it would be VERY considerate if the newbies would specify their gross constraints at the get go.
I've seen threads go 40+ replies without getting the basic constraints defined.

Most metal working activities have potential for significant injury.
If a person can't think to specify the most salient parameters, I worry that they won't remember to remove the chuck key.

I agree Mike , there is no correct answer with little to no information given . I posted a short list up above your last post with a few things for consideration by the noobie . Just a start .

Yeah, I posted my thing without looking. Jim is right; we need a better way to do this.

First 2 questions to answer, First is what is your budget and second, what are you planning to build?
Some people on this site seem to have no problems spending $10k on a machine. For most people that is absolutely impossible.
Joe

Something you don't really get when you first start jumping on this train, get as big and heavy as you can. I heard that in different ways and when I bought a 400# lathe and a 500# mill, I though, DAMN! THESE ARE HEAVY! They have to be rigid as all get out. Over time, you start to see what heavy/rigid is all about. It may very well be better to buy used/bigger than new/lighter.

It may very well be better to buy used/bigger than new/lighter.
While I wholeheartedly agree it always comes down to when a noob you have no clue and don’t have the expertise to tell good used from a boat anchor so go with the new/lighter option.

it all boils down to there is no easy one size fits all answer but man, if you could get folks to do a worksheet beforehand that would be a brilliant way to target the help.

YES! If someone really was new to this aspect, a worksheet would be a welcomed tool...no doubt. We know that size/space is a consideration, available power, $$$, purpose/materials it needs to run well etc. I know in my case, once I made up my mind, I don't know if I heard anything after that. That's probably a newb's worst enemy.

I know in my case, once I made up my mind, I don't know if I heard anything after that. That's probably a newb's worst enemy.
But this is where we ALL get to who just want to get ‘er done. There are so many options and variables it seems impossible when you have limited experience..

I think I see a pattern with engineers who join the forum. They are project oriented so they know how take all the variables in and let them solve for equipment parameters. They always seem to have the lathe and mill already

Not that I’m an engineer, but my last job was making and installing machines with minimum equipment. So space, power, $$ and projects at hand and projected were givens. Then it was what was available used and as they came up what were the pitfalls. It took a around a year but I see bigger and better around and could get lured into it but can’t really justify. I’m more a +10% guy instead of max overload.

On the contrary, it would be VERY considerate if the newbies would specify their gross constraints at the get go.
I've seen threads go 40+ replies without getting the basic constraints defined.

Most metal working activities have potential for significant injury.
If a person can't think to specify the most salient parameters, I worry that they won't remember to remove the chuck key.
Most do not know to ask what questions to ask, a worksheet would help them figure out what they need to ask about.

Most do not know to ask what questions to ask, a worksheet would help them figure out what they need to ask about.
And it’s amazing the realizations you come to when you have to think through a list.

I’ve been a member of a music forum since ‘03 and haven’t bothered to actually log in for over 5yrs. It’s the same things, what instrument? what picks? what strings? etc and it was proposed to make stickies for those specific noob things. And it didn’t work. They were ignored and the same exact questions are still clogging the forums. And none of the guys of my era respond. But it’s like chum to the fishes the semi experienced hashing and rehashing what really all comes down to individual preference.

There is a different vibe here, so it might work to have a worksheet. But how would that work without some sounding like noob bashers when it’s pointed out they didn’t fill out the worksheet? Could there be something that would catch those noob questions when they start a thread and direct them to fill out the worksheet? That way we’d not get our “friendly forum” badge revoked :)

Back