Suggested Sticky

I thought I would jot down some reasonings of why I purchased the lathe I did.
I had zero experience prior to the purchase of using a lathe except for the 1st year of high school ie. 50 years ago.
I had some idea of what I wanted to use it for BUT did find that once I had the lathe many many more projects reared their head that I had never even considered so dont sell yourself short here.
Size, this was the largest lathe in the price range I could afford so price was the major consideration. Would I like larger? you betcha. could I afford it? not a chance so no real decision.
Tooling, I firmly believe high speed steel is best here, I received carbide inserts with the lathe and broke most of them pretty quickly. Sharpening HSS is easy and for hobby use close enough works, as experience climbs then the profiles become better.
Buy the tools you NEED as you need them, its usually cheaper. I have some tools I thought I should have and in reality they very rarely get used.
I purchased my cheap chinese 9x20 lathe with the full understanding it would require a full strip, adjust, re-build and probably a few alterations.
This turned out to be the case.
Have I regretted my purchase?
Nope because it has been a gigantic learning experience and skill building exercise and has enabled my to make many cool projects.

Maybe because I'm cheap , if your just getting started , here's a nicely equipped South Bend for a very good price . Something to learn on and pretty sure you wouldn't loose $$$ if you decide to up-grade . A few hours from you . https://reading.craigslist.org/tls/d/reinholds-south-bend-metal-lathe/7244058285.html
I sent 2 messages and another member sent messages, noone got a response.
I already have a SB9C, I started this thread to address somethings I have noticed.

@ArmyDoc
That's great input. Thanks for being involved. As a self described noob, your perspective is a valuable contribution.

I had in mind a much lesser (1 page maximum) approach. It will be interesting to watch this all shake out.
Yeah, I was thinking more like a questionairre or checklist. Then, I read ArmyDoc's manifesto buyer's guide and realized there is a lot to cover.

As noob myself, I read this thread with a great deal fo interest. I think a worksheet that just consists of a questions to answer is not going to work, because noobs don't understand enough to be able to answer them. But if a little background information is provided with each question, I think it would be very helpful indeed.

So, I took what I have learned, and tried to put together such a questionaire/worksheet. The biggest problem I can already see is that, I'm very new to this myself, and I may have gotten somethings wrong, and/or left thing out that are very important. In anycase, what I came upwith might be a good starting place.

Nice work, Doc!

I agree that a brief explanation or background information with each question would help to clarify the intent of the questions.

So, we need to decide what those questions are going to be. It looks like DavidR8 and JimF are interested. I think @Aaron_W, @C-Bag and @ttabbal and maybe @extropic would be really good additions to the group. Aside from C-bag and maybe extropic, they are newish to this hobby but have all demonstrated their knowledge, intelligence and willingness to help. Once we have this group, we can decide on a list of questions that need to be included. Then maybe we can add some background info as Doc pointed out.

Nice work, Doc!

I agree that a brief explanation or background information with each question would help to clarify the intent of the questions.

So, we need to decide what those questions are going to be. It looks like DavidR8 and JimF are interested. I think @Aaron_W, @C-Bag and @ttabbal and maybe @extropic would be really good additions to the group. Aside from C-bag and maybe extropic, they are newish to this hobby but have all demonstrated their knowledge, intelligence and willingness to help. Once we have this group, we can decide on a list of questions that need to be included. Then maybe we can add some background info as Doc pointed out.
Seeing as I am the instigator, I am definitely onboard.

Happy to help if I can. I'm newer to this and the board, but I try to point people in the right direction.

I obviously forgot to include @ArmyDoc on this list. Note that I purposely did not include myself, Dave or vtcnc on the list. I would like to see you guys do this and the staff will follow, approve and sponsor it because it is worth doing.

can we set up a chat room type of thing to bounce ideas around ?

Back