Suggestions For An Arc Welder For Up To 1/2" Steel?

Stop using the helmet. There is something wrong with the electronics or you have not adjusted the head band correctly.

chuck: Do you have any suggestion for having the helmet checked? I can take it by my local Airgas retail store but I don't know if they will check it. Maybe I can have them call the local Miller rep and have him check it out? I don't know enough to know if it is me or if it is the helmet. I guess I can also call Miller and ask them. I just searched for "Miller titanium recall" and "Miller titanium problems" and came up with nothing.

Mark: That Arc Welding Lesson video is by far the best. I am letting it run in the background but will watch it in a single sitting when I have time.

I don't like what is happening with my eyesight after welding. It is like I looked at the sun but lasts longer. My helmet is a Miller Titanium 9400i. Forgetting about all the complaints about it being heavy etc. I own it, it should be the best for protective vision. But, if not please let me know and I will sell it and buy the best.
I use the cheapest Jackson helmet and the cheapest glass lens in shades 8 to 15.
My helmets cost about$45 at airgas and the lenses cost $1.75 each and last a long long time.
I do have some glass gold lenses that work well on stainless mig, I don't use them unless I am having difficulty seeing, they sometimes work better.
For tacking I use an auto helmet insert called Save Phace, it costs about $80 at my supplier and has a 3 year warranty, no replaceable batteries. I use the small veiwing area at work 2x4 1/4.
I have never had a auto helmet that has better view than plain cheap green glass. I have bought a lot of good expensive auto helmets, never really like to weld with them, they are great to learn with and for tacking and assembly work.
Most manual helmets come with plastic shades, they are worthless.
The Jackson helmets have very nice headgear and my neck and ears dont get burned.
I used the hobart auto helmets for years for tacking, neck and ears got burnt if I welded with them. Too short and not wide enough.

Hmmm... I may have had it more than three years, but I will look into all this tomorrow, Monday.
I really appreciate the specifics on eye protection.
The helmet did nothing when I purchased the Thunderbolt XL, the guy welded with it and the helmet was apparently not functioning because the batteries needed to be replaced. The batteries are new and it is certainly working better, but not right for me or not set right for me.
Thanks, I don't like to blame equipment when I don't know what I am doing but what is happening is not optimal for sure.

not sure what the delay does but I have it on medium.
The delay is for when you have stopped the arc the helmet does not immediately lighten. I set the delay to its longest setting.
Also, should I weld in a completely dark environment with lights on the work
I see best in a brightly lit shop, a dark shop is hard to weld in.
What is the absolute best setting on the helmet for protection and what is the absolute best environment for protecting vision. And what is the best way to see the puddle and protect vision?
http://www.lincolnelectric.com/en-u...ions/Pages/helmets-eye-protection-detail.aspx
http://www.lincolnelectric.com/en-us/support/welding-solutions/Documents/weldinglenses.pdf
A setting of 10 should have been sufficient for the amps you where welding at. I generally weld at about a shade number less than what is recommended. I see the eye doctor every year and am checked out very carefully, I have no signs of any eye damage, been welding for 40 years.

Headgear.
Most quality helmets have 4 adjustments on their headgear.
1. A ratcheting nob to adjust to your hat size.
2. An adjustment on the top to adust the whole helmet higher or lower. I set this so the headband stays just above my ears.
3. An in and out adjustment. I set this too close and my helmet fogs. adjust accordingly.
4. An adjustment for how far the helmet drops. I adjust this so the helmet just touches my chest.
I buy jackson helmets because they work, and, it can take an enormous amount of time to set up a helmet to my liking. I know the settings on t he Jackson helmets, I have four of them, two and work and two at home, I buy a new one every year, my helmets take a lot of abuse, and wear out.
I also use fiber metal helmets, I don't use their rubber band head gear, I use their more standard headgear. Only with leathers, no neck protection with the fiber metal helmets.

chuck: I put the hardhat adapter on my helmet, because it provides a little more steadiness to the helmet while unfortunately making it more heavy. The Miller Titanium 9400i is constantly criticized because of how heavy it is. And is true that the sheild will not stay up. But the sheild has a separate grinding face protector which makes it heavier. I have a 3M hard hat with face shield and 3M 101 ear muffs for grinding but I thought that the face sheild on the 9400i would provide some benefit.

Mark: It is possible that I had too much drag angle and that is why the beads are too tall. I have to fit up a part to a four riser stair railing which I am modifying. If I get that done today, I may try to adjust the settings on my helmet and weld it up.

Can I ask what you use for a welding helmet? A friend of ours who works for a welding shop in Idaho also uses only a fixed sheild helmet. I am wondering if professionals use primarily fixed shades for a reason.

Back