Swarf Chips They Are Everywhere

I have diabetes. Even though I can still feel pain in my feet, I can not risk to have a metal splinter. So I wear good leather boots and a leather shop apron. HF puts out an apron that you can get for about $10 on sale. Also, I brush and collect the swarf frequently so it doesn't build up.

I too use a heavy leather apron. It does a lot to keep the swarf and chips in the shop. The aprons are tied to keep them close but the straps are flimsy so if something should get caught they will just break. Haven't ever caught an apron in 25 years, knock on wood. Another thing that helps is the anti-fatigue mats in front of all the machines, they do a lot to help not get chips embedded in your shoes.

Hello, my name is Brian and I'm a toolaholic!

There is a rug both inside and outside the shop door. Separate shoes and shirt left in the shop. Shoes are slip ons with smooth top. Shirt is old polyester/cotton dress shirt that doesn't snag & hold chips. There is a sink, soap and mirror beside the door of the shop but I have gotten into the habit of wearing nitrile gloves. I do the vacuuming by choice. And boy is the food ever good around here!

I wear shop aprons from Enco:

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INPDFF?PMPAGE=973&PARTPG=INLMK3&PMITEM=505-3927

In fact my outfit head-to-toe is:

Backwards Red Sox cap, though I always disliked the backward baseball cap look.
Safety glasses
Old Army t shirt, covered by old Army long john top when it is cold
Denim apron
Trousers from the church thrift shop
Work shoes that are reserved for shop use

This ensemble keeps almost all swarf out of the house. I don't think you could pick up many women in it though.

I don't really get the lose clothes/long sleeves thing. I make sure I'm not going to get tangled in the lead screw but the spindles or work I won't get closer then half a sharply while it's moving.

To keep some of the swarf off that the mill throws I often set a 1/2" 4x4 aluminum on it's edge to deflect it away from me. I don't really have a problem with my shoes. I change at the door of the house tho.

I wear a Tank or Tee and shorts and flip flops most of the time. If it's really cold (like 55* in So Cal) I wear sweats to cover my shoes to keep the chips out of them. If I'm cutting steel (hot chips) I move out of the path when taking a pass and my arms are used to the occasional "hot missile". I bought a pair of Crocs for the shop, but they're chip magnets so I took them in the house.

Throughout the day, I monitor the chips on the machines with a shop vac and blow all of the floor chips to the wall of or one corner until the end of the day where I clean them up with my magnetic wan and a broom. I haven't invented an aluminum boom yet, but I made something that works pretty good by covering my magnetic wand with a cheap micro cloth (HF). They seem to have an attraction to the chips.

I change my shoes when I enter and exit the shop and blow myself off with compressed air to keep everything out of the house. For the most part, the wife never catches much, and she's a vacuum nut.

Had to smile last night I got home from the range and the wife was sweeping the shop. She commented on how I shouldn't let it get that bad and I had to tell her that was from one nights work.
Also I warned her about OSHA and wearing moccasins in the shop.
We have a plan worked out Thanks again for all the replies .
Ed
fd75df993be0f4289289e478f7d62848.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

After you make a mess...

You clean up that's your best defense. I was beat last night after about 11 hours in the shop but I spent over an hour cleaning before calling it a night.

Last edited by a moderator:
I built a wood platform that really helps with chips and is also easy on my feet. It's a mat of 1x2's on edge with short 1x2 spacer blocks in between. The whole thing is held together by 1/4x20 threaded rods going all the way thru. The spaces allow chips to fall thru before they get imbedded in my shoes. To clean up just pick it up and most of the chips are left behind on the floor. Easy to sweep up.LATHE FLOOR MAT.JPG

I built a wood platform that really helps with chips and is also easy on my feet. It's a mat of 1x2's on edge with short 1x2 spacer blocks in between. The whole thing is held together by 1/4x20 threaded rods going all the way thru. The spaces allow chips to fall thru before they get imbedded in my shoes. To clean up just pick it up and most of the chips are left behind on the floor. Easy to sweep up.View attachment 121701
That is on my list to build soon . I work retail on my legs 10+ hours a day . Another 4-5 in the shop kills my back.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Back