Swarf Chips They Are Everywhere

Can't add much to what's been said, but what I do is keep the shop as clean as possible. I've been known to stop in the middle of a project if I notice it's getting bad and sweep the floor. Change shoes in the mud room connecting the garage to the house, and make sure I blow off really good before leaving the shop area. Even found chips in my hair back when I had some. :)

As a new guy I can't add to this but I just did my first real project on my lathe. I cleaned up after and drug my feet (crocks) all the way to the house and got caught draggin in some strays. I was completely shocked at how much of this I had to clean up. What do y'all do with this stuff? I've been dealin with grinder dust ad slag for years but this creates a lot more than I thought it would.

a magnetic broom, quick roll now and again whilst working then sit down to remove all the chips embedded in the crocs (yep, I wear them as well).
Now I just need to find an aluminium magnet.

I am lucky in that it bothers me more than my wife..she never complains about it. But, I do wear different shoes in my shop as well as have several aprons and work clothes go into the washer at the end of the day. Never had problems with chips staying in the washer, though I do shake and use air to blow the chips off.

I try to stop before I get too tired and shop vacuum the shop before I quit each day. I also have shop mats (the ones with holes in them) that I use at each machine. This minimizes the chip spread.

My shop area is in the basement. I shake off my clothes and check the bottom of my shoes before leaving the shop area. I also wear shirts either without pockets or with button flaps on the pocket to keep them closed. I will turn my pants pockets inside out to check for chips also. I have found this method works well for not dragging chips through the house and keeps the wife happy.

Back