Takisawa lathe

tjb

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I have a lead on a Takisawa 1000CD (?) that I'm considering buying. Anyone know if there is a manual online available? I'd like to get more detail on specs.

Regards,
Terry

Looks like this lathe is fitted with an 'ASA A1-5" spindle nose. What's that? How does it compare to a D1-4, and can I get an appropriate backing plate for my 6" Bison 3-jaw?

Regards,
Terry

It locates on a taper and is held with four bolts. Seems like parts are available with this mount, but it's not as easily found.

These lathes are excellent in my experience. They're heavy, solid, with a conservative and effective Japanese design, thrust bearings all over the place.

It cuts steel like my Logan 10" cut aluminum...or maybe than the Logan cut Delrin. Parting steel is a joy with a carbide insert blade tool.

It locates on a taper and is held with four bolts. Seems like parts are available with this mount, but it's not as easily found.

These lathes are excellent in my experience. They're heavy, solid, with a conservative and effective Japanese design, thrust bearings all over the place.

It cuts steel like my Logan 10" cut aluminum...or maybe than the Logan cut Delrin. Parting steel is a joy with a carbide insert blade tool.
Thanks. I have an Aloris 'B' type tool post set, and I get the impression that it is compatible with this lathe. Agree/disagree?

Regards,
Terry

It came with an Aloris CXA size, works fine. B seems like a bit small to me, but don't know if that is true.

I wasn't sure what size toolpost to get with mine. I picked up a CXA at an auction locally and a import BXA size up in Oregon. my dad just mailed it and i"m supposed to have the BXA on monday. I can post pics of each one on the machine for your reference. BTW the CXA fits well. I think the BXA will as well, my main concern is that the compound has a pretty large gap which the CXA seem to span nicely.

jeff

I wasn't sure what size toolpost to get with mine. I picked up a CXA at an auction locally and a import BXA size up in Oregon. my dad just mailed it and i"m supposed to have the BXA on monday. I can post pics of each one on the machine for your reference. BTW the CXA fits well. I think the BXA will as well, my main concern is that the compound has a pretty large gap which the CXA seem to span nicely.

jeff
I have mounted my BXA on a Sharp 1440, which I think is essentially the same platform as the Takinawa. It fit and worked nicely. Let me know what you think after you try out the BXA on yours. And thanks for responding.

Regards,
Terry

What do you guys know about change gears on these machines? On the only three other lathes I've dealt with, they consist of two small gears and a 2-sided reversible large gear - all of which can be interchanged into various combinations. Is that the same setup on this machine? I don't have a photo of the backside of the spindle with the cover off.

Regards,
Terry

Back