Takisawa lathe

What do you guys know about change gears on these machines? On the only three other lathes I've dealt with, they consist of two small gears and a 2-sided reversible large gear - all of which can be interchanged into various combinations. Is that the same setup on this machine? I don't have a photo of the backside of the spindle with the cover off.

Regards,
Terry
I don't know much Terry. This is my first experience with a Takisawa and im still cleaning it up. Here's my thread chart and the gears on the machine and the gears that came with it.

Attachments

• 1212191150.jpg
    1212191150.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 23
  • 1212191149.jpg
    1212191149.jpg
    857.3 KB · Views: 23
  • 1212191149a.jpg
    1212191149a.jpg
    829.4 KB · Views: 21
If you didn't receive a stack of gears like in the above picture, join the club, many Tak owners didn't either. If you didn't, your choice is to do no threading and live with the limited carriage drive speeds, buy the ones you require, or consider an electronic lead screw. If so, search YouTube for "Clough42." That's what I did, which cost about $300 finished.

Last edited:
I don't know much Terry. This is my first experience with a Takisawa and im still cleaning it up. Here's my thread chart and the gears on the machine and the gears that came with it.
Thanks, Z.

So it appears a complete set of change gears consists of thirteen different gears that are utilized in various combinations. Glad I asked. I'll need to make sure he has the full set. If he doesn't, that would be an absolute deal breaker for me.

Very much appreciate the quick response.

Regards,
Terry

P.S.: You Italian?

If you didn't receive a stack of gears like in the above picture, join the club, many Tak owners didn't either. If you didn't, your choice is to do no threading and live with the limited carriage drive speeds, or consider an electronic lead screw. If so, search YouTube for "Clough42." That's what I did.
What kind of money we talking about?

I edited my post to include that, figure about $300 done, but with that, you can do any thread and way more drive speeds than the gears allow for, and there's no changing them. Also, if you use a regular stepper motor instead of a closed-loop type, that'll lower the price by $80 or so.

Thanks, Z.

So it appears a complete set of change gears consists of thirteen different gears that are utilized in various combinations. Glad I asked. I'll need to make sure he has the full set. If he doesn't, that would be an absolute deal breaker for me.

Regards,
Terry

If you didn't receive a stack of gears like in the above picture, join the club, many Tak owners didn't either. If you didn't, your choice is to do no threading and live with the limited carriage drive speeds, or consider an electronic lead screw. If so, search YouTube for "Clough42." That's what I did, which cost about $300 finished.

Don't forget you also get the have the cool factor with the electronic lead screw. Lol

Thanks, Z.

Regards,
Terry

No prob. Not italian..lol

No prob. Not italian..lol
Okay, I won't even expect an answer, but I gotta wonder where 'zamboni' came from.

P.S.: I'm Italian. 100%. Some of us are lucky that way.

Okay, I won't even expect an answer, but I gotta wonder where 'zamboni' came from.

P.S.: I'm Italian. 100%. Some of us are lucky that way.
Lol. I'm of Irish decent. I like hockey and 20 plus years ago i was setting up my email. I had just moved to California from Oregon. I thought it was interesting that the machine used to clean the rink (the Zamboni) was invented by frank zamboni here in so cal.

Back