Takisawa lathe

Lol. I'm of Irish decent. I like hockey and 20 plus years ago i was setting up my email. I had just moved to California from Oregon. I thought it was interesting that the machine used to clean the rink (the Zamboni) was invented by frank zamboni here in so cal.
Bet he's Italian.

The gears that were mounted on my lathe were 30, 80 and 95 tooth gears. These cover almost all normal imperial threads except 13tpi.
The full stack of gears, which I have, cover about everything I could think of, including all kinds of feeds and metric threads.

I have not yet found occasion to want to change from the standard gear set.

Reactions: tjb
I would like to see three or four Takisawa owners convert to ELS, then show me how. :)

Reactions: tjb
And, for a group buy of the sight windows, I'll pay my share if somebody takes the lead.

Agree, I'm in as well.

Last edited:
I have mounted my BXA on a Sharp 1440, which I think is essentially the same platform as the Takinawa. It fit and worked nicely. Let me know what you think after you try out the BXA on yours. And thanks for responding.

Regards,
Terry

I have mounted my BXA on a Sharp 1440, which I think is essentially the same platform as the Takinawa. It fit and worked nicely. Let me know what you think after you try out the BXA on yours. And thanks for responding.

Regards,
Terry

Terry, here the cxa vs phase II bxa. And how they span the compound gap

Attachments

• inCollage_20191214_090528043.jpg
    inCollage_20191214_090528043.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 14
Terry, here the cxa vs phase II bxa. And how they span the compound gap
'C' is definitely a better fit on the compound, but other than that, it looks like 'B' would be quite functional. Just mill another base plate, and it appears that it would fit just as well.

Thanks for posting the photos.

At this point, I'm on the fence with regard to the Tak. He doesn't have any change gears other than what's mounted, and I'm trying to find out how difficult it would be to find - and buy - a set. Anybody have contact info on Takisawa vendors?

Regards,
Terry

Highly doubtful that a set will go up for sale, and if it does, the electronic lead screw will be cheaper. Of course, you may well not need every gear, so it comes down to your goals.

The hunt is off, guys. The lathe got sold today before I could get there.

Thanks for all the info. If nothing else, I learned a lot.

Regards,
Terry

Back