Tap wrench

RandallsRaceShop

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
My brother popped in a couple of weeks ago to get some tires mounted to his new motorcycle wheels. He hasn’t been over since I started destroying metal…,…,…or, I mean attempting to machine stuff. I showed him a few things that I had made & he liked this little tap wrench I made. So I asked if he wanted one, he was like “hell yeah!”. I told him I’d make it plenty bigger than the one he had in his hand (he’s an iron worker).
So I’ve been working on it here and there when I’ve had time to do so. I’m getting close to finished & I’m pretty happy with how this thing is coming out. I just wanted to share some pictures of my work.

I do still have to mill a slot into the threaded portion of the body, cross drill the plunger, make a pin on the lathe & press it together. Oh, and buy a spring for it.

80DA64E3-A61C-4AFE-AD49-C2D2284C1AFA.jpegB5EE698B-69A7-4DA2-B72C-A81DBA7284AC.jpegBF75B81C-9803-48F3-8B48-9D750DAA494C.jpeg3DEDFF3F-8C7F-43E0-9CF8-72D36A81B148.jpeg

Very Nice! How do you keep your mill and, especially, the vice so clean and the surface so un-scarred?
That vice is new. I bought the mill (PM25MV) used, it came with a vice that kind of looked like it may have gotten tossed out of a moving car before. I used it for a while, but got tired of it & ordered a new 4” vice from PM a couple of weeks ago.
Other than that I keep a few chip brushes on hand & a small shop vac by the machines.

While I’m here, thank all of you for the kind words.

"I showed him a few things that I had made & he liked this little tap wrench I made".
I like it too!
I am thinking that if you are the older brother, you may be spoiling him with nice stuff, or if you are the younger brother, he might be exploiting you!
Well done on that! It has that quality look like I saw on the Starrett tap wrench clone from Inheritance Machining YT channel.

Edit: BTW - do tell on what metal you used. :)

"I showed him a few things that I had made & he liked this little tap wrench I made".
I like it too!
I am thinking that if you are the older brother, you may be spoiling him with nice stuff, or if you are the younger brother, he might be exploiting you!
Well done on that! It has that quality look like I saw on the Starrett tap wrench clone from Inheritance Machining YT channel.

Edit: BTW - do tell on what metal you used. :)
I’m the oldest of 6 brothers (our poor parents).
I actually bought the print from Inheritance Machining. I like watching Brandon, he seems like a good dude. I didn’t copy his print exactly, but mine is most definitely based off of that particular tap wrench you’re talking about.
Anyway, I just used some 12L14 to make it (I know, I cheated).

Back