Testing Electric Propulsion Unit For a Light Airplane

YLogvin

Registered
Registered
Hello everyone,

After the third revolution of aviation (electric propulsion), the idea of having an electric plane doesn't sound so unrealistic anymore. In fact, our tests showed that the 190 kg thrust that we get from our electric setup is enough for the aircraft takeoff and ascent.

In this video, we're testing a prototype electric propulsion unit for light aviation with a power of 80-100 hp. ✈️✈️✈️

P.S. English captions available

I believe Harbour Air in Victoria BC test flew one of their planes last Sept. All electric, apparently they want to convert their entire fleet in the future
Maybe DavidR8 can clarify.

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm aware that a lot of folks are already doing this, it's just for us this is all new. We already have some experience of converting cars to electric power, but converting planes is something new for us, so, interesting challenges ahead! Hopefully, we'll find some people who are kind enough to share their expertise.

Interesting that as the angle of attack diminishes the power output (and the RPMs) increases. That's got to have a strange curve, 0 deg. would be ultimate power, but it wouldn't give any thrust at all. Or would it. the prop would still be an airfoil....

Edit. They were measuring angle of attack (pitch) on the airfoil, I thought it was measured on the other (back) side of the blade. Any comments?

Last edited:
Converting cars is a pretty solid science right now. Lots have been done. Lots more to be done. Congress even suspended crashworthiness standards so cars like Prius, etc. could be produced.
Converting planes is a different ordeal. It's not just power-to-weight. It's about safety and regulation.
Lots of electric planes exist in the Experimental Category. They have for many years. They can take off and land just fine
Lots of companies have tried to bilk investors into thinking "any day now" they would have Certification. They've always failed. So far no one has succeeded and like fusion energy, won't ever - until the rules are changed.
It will be interesting to see where the regulatory agencies bend to popular pressures. So far they haven't, but things change today like never before.

WRAT. Could you provide a citation for the "Congress even suspended crashworthiness standards..." statement? I would like to read more about it.
Thanks.

No.
You can Google as easy as I.
Tire diameter; rollover proclivity; side crumple; these are among the areas of crashworthiness that are omitted for electric/hybrid vehicles that are required for gas burners.
Just for the record, I don't know about every technology, but I do know there's a LOT about my job that never made it to the net - which sounds hard to believe but it's true. So I'm sure certain regulatory concessions from the 90s might not be quick and easy to find. But have at it.

No.
You can Google as easy as I.
Tire diameter; rollover proclivity; side crumple; these are among the areas of crashworthiness that are omitted for electric/hybrid vehicles that are required for gas burners.
Just for the record, I don't know about every technology, but I do know there's a LOT about my job that never made it to the net - which sounds hard to believe but it's true. So I'm sure certain regulatory concessions from the 90s might not be quick and easy to find. But have at it.
I googled a bit and found no reference to that... I DID find however:

Important quote:

"Electric cars are proving to be at least as safe as conventional cars, based on crash-test performance and an analysis of injury claims, according to the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety."

Apparently, they felt the need to publish this. To make a case, as it were. Convincing.
Back in 1996, before Al Gore invented the internet, was when these compromises started. Luckily, we found something from 2021, 25 years later, that confirms that the ever-cheapening production spam can is on par with a production electric.
But hey, old news never seems to matter. Onward and upward!

I tried to find the information before asking. I just couldn't find anything specific. Maybe my Google skills aren't as sharp as they once were.

Back