Testing Electric Propulsion Unit For a Light Airplane

For the record, Gore never said he invented the internet. He said he promoted and encouraged its development, which is true. A minor point, but I grow tired of hearing this silliness.
Back in 1996, before Al Gore invented the internet, was when these compromises started.

Long and short: it's a thread about electric planes, not cars.
I only brought up cars as an illustration of *regulation* not technology.
In order for an electric plane to become Certified, some regulations are gonna hafta change. That's just the reality.
For anyone interested, all the regs are here:
www.faa.gov
What changes that will be, if any, or if ever, I don't know.
Among these regulators is the truism that "no one asked you to fly over them". Meaning when a plane crashes on innocents, it's a really big deal. Much like the big deal made about self-drivers. So the regulators have every motive to not compromise anything for the political expedience (yes it is) of airborne electric power.
In my little world, it's still a very long way off.

For the record, Gore never said he invented the internet. He said he promoted and encouraged its development, which is true.
For the record, i've seen the video.
He "made this".

The exact quote is:
" I took the initiative in creating the Internet. " Let's just stop there before ... you know.
More importantly, over time, electric propulsion could replace ICE for small planes due to its reliability. There are far fewer moving parts to fail. I agree it will take a long time to test and prove the safety record but it will eventually come to pass.
Robert

The question is not can an electric motor generate enough power to make an aircraft fly. Its can an aircraft with enough battery capacity for a useful time aloft, get off the ground.

Interesting that as the angle of attack diminishes the power output (and the RPMs) increases. That's got to have a strange curve, 0 deg. would be ultimate power, but it wouldn't give any thrust at all. Or would it. the prop would still be an airfoil....

Edit. They were measuring angle of attack (pitch) on the airfoil, I thought it was measured on the other (back) side of the blade. Any comments?
The revolutions are limited by the phase current, at a lower angle there are more revolutions (constant moment on the shaft) and power is the moment per revolution.

The angle is calculated by the manufacturer, they also gave us a device for installing the blades. This video shows what this device looks like and how it's being used.

The question is not can an electric motor generate enough power to make an aircraft fly. Its can an aircraft with enough battery capacity for a useful time aloft, get off the ground.
Mid-air recharging. What could go wrong there?
Robert

Back