The Giant Binocular

Quite remarkable, @savarin . I'm amazed at your perseverance and your ability to cobble together interesting machines to help you your way. Where did you get the inspiration/plans for the rough grinding machine?

My father had started to make a telescope, but he never finished it. I have a couple of pieces from him. He even made a Foucault tester. I have a single book on making a telescope. I've looked through it, but can't quite fathom all that is necessary. I know you have posted this before, but do you have a short list of sources that captures the overall process and most of the details?

The grinding machine was my idea but there are similar ones around that probably triggered the ideas.
The plans were back of the envelope stuff as I went along.
This is probably the best book available
and this one is also pretty good.
whats the book you already have
You can make excellent mirrors by hand, it just takes longer than the machine
(says someone who has been working on this for years)

This is great! What a process. You are a talented and patient man!
I look forward to the result and watching your Foucault testing!
And I seconds Rays comments bout this type of black magic.

Last edited:
The grinding machine was my idea but there are similar ones around that probably triggered the ideas.
The plans were back of the envelope stuff as I went along.
This is probably the best book available
and this one is also pretty good.
whats the book you already have
You can make excellent mirrors by hand, it just takes longer than the machine
(says someone who has been working on this for years)
Thanks Savarin. I have "How to Make a Telescope" by Jean Texereau 1957. Seems to be a first edition. This edition has 197 pages. Seems like a lot got added to the second edition!

Grinding the steel tools is taking a lot longer than I expected.
The bottom tool is formed concave to grind the mirror backs, the top tool which will end up at the same curvature except convex to grind the aluminium puller disks.
Heres a video showing the grinding process with 80* grit, the top tool is free wheeling, it just overlaps the bottom disk/tool. This causes the tool to spin faster in the centre of the bottom tool and slower at the edge thus deepening the curve.
I have approximately 2/100ths mm to go in the centre.
(I hope)

Why am I building a giant binocular?
Because these are the largest I have (25x100) and I need-want-desire-hope for- greater magnification.
25-100.jpg
I built these so at public sessions I could find the object then lower or raise the height to fit anyone else looking through them.

Any update on this build?

Once the backs are ground, will you grind a socket to receive the glass on the platen for alignment? How will you confirm they are concentric?

Back