The Giant Binocular

they are pretty good, does it have goto?

they are pretty good, does it have goto?
Still trying to decide on the mount… all I have is the OTA, reducer (f6.3), solar filter, dew heater, and one 18 mm eye piece…oh, and the adapters to use my Nikon (whenever I want to give that a try…).

All I want for now is to use it for visual observation. Later I want to try astrophotography… but baby steps, baby steps…

2C742723-A7B1-40F3-862A-31CED613ECD8.jpeg

still waiting for the motor. I decided not to try a repair as with one shattered magnet I felt the magnetic flux would be corrupted and would either not work or overheat to an alarming degree.
So drilled the bearing block that holds the diamond wheel at 45 degrees ready for chamfering.
It looks alarming with the drill table at 45' but with everything lined up with my super accurate eyecrometer and the delicate lead hammer it worked fine.
pics to come when in operation as again more waiting (for paint to dry.)
45-drilling.jpg

I’m a member on CloudyNights telescope forum. There’s a forum for Binoculars as well and I’m sure your project progress would be of great interest there as well.

I’m a member on CloudyNights telescope forum. There’s a forum for Binoculars as well and I’m sure your project progress would be of great interest there as well.
I joined there as well... they are partially responsible for most of the stuff I have ordered... including now a set of binoculars :D

Ordered an inexpensive GoTo mount while I decide on the final one to buy... the mount seems to be the most expensive and important piece of all of this...

Here is a photo of what is looking like... compared to what @savarin is building, mine looks like one of his eyepieces :grin big:

Mount-5.jpeg

Last edited:
got most of it back together.
The plethora of stainless fastners didnt show up as much when is was all rusty or bare steel. They sure do now.
Its obviously a design feature.
rebuilding1.jpg

That just look so amazingly cool.

Back