The Stars Have Been In Alignment For Me This Week. Just Got My First Lathe, A D/r 11x36, 25-100

There's a fellow on the Yahoo group who has a compound without a handwheel and mic collar, that he sold to me for $25 ($31 with shipping). When I got it I found it was in too poor of condition for what I want, so I returned it. A previous owner had used a grinder on it to clearance it for a BXA tool holder and ended up breaking into the screw cavity, and there were some serious chips on the base. It works, but is very ugly. Would work well as a pattern. I'm sure he's still got it. I can put you in touch with him if you want. Other another note, I'll be selling my compound once I get the one I just ordered from Plaza Machinery.

If you recall from previous posts it has been broken and repaired. It is functional, and the repair was well done. The screw is in good shape, but the nut is worn. The handwheel is good, but the graduated collar has some rust damage. I'll be using the funds to continue my rebuild, so it will go at market value, probably on eBay, but I'll give you first shot if you are interested.

Thanks tony, I'm looking to make my own because"market value" of Dr parts is just too steep for my poor boy budget. We'll see though, I'm not looking to purchase anything till spring or later.

Thanks
Rich

You are starting to collect projects just like me! I have one project to be able to work on another! It gets overwhelming sometimes. Tim:panic:

One can never have too many tools! I've always wanted a lathe, because with a lathe I can MAKE tools! It's almost like buying the goose that lays golden eggs!
Now I have TWO lathes!:happyhappy:

Finished the cleanup of the SB today. Just sort of gave it a spit-shine. It will have to wait until I get the DR back together for a paint job and full refurb. Luckily, it appears I'm not the first to go through this machine. During the cleanup I have uncovered three coats of paint, but I have yet to come across anything I think needs replacement...unlike my DR. However, I have discovered a couple pretty important parts that are missing: The bed clamp bracket for the taper attachment and the bed clamps for the saddle. I have no doubt they are hidden somewhere in the former home of the lathe, but it's unlikely I'll ever find them.

I am awaiting several deliveries of parts this week. Once my new measuring equipment comes in, I'll be able to get the SB leveled and properly set up to be able to start cutting parts for the DR. I'm just about to the end of my parts acquisition process.

I have paid for and am awaiting delivery of the following:

For the DR11:

Complete compound in excellent condition
Compound gear for the carriage handwheel
Excellent pair of half-nuts
Excellent worm
Palmgren 250 Milling Attachment
Way and headstock oil
Shars dial indicators and mag base
Center drill set

Merry Christmas to me!

Still looking for the following parts:

For the DR11:

Tumbler Gear MCL-271 (being made by a Yahoo Group member)
Cross slide feed screw
Cross slide feed nut (found a new one, now looking for a screw)

For the SB9A:

Bed clamp bracket for the taper attachment
Bed clamps for the saddle

If anybody is interested, I'll likely have a set of 3-C collets and a DR11 compound for sale in the near future. PM me.

More pics tomorrow.

There's a fellow on the Yahoo group who has a compound without a handwheel and mic collar, that he sold to me for $25 ($31 with shipping). When I got it I found it was in too poor of condition for what I want, so I returned it..

Tony I would have expected you to also state that the defect was described to you in detail prior to purchase & I think you'll agree that the compound was priced accordingly. You stated that your nut was damaged & screw was worn. This one would have gotten you by & at the time you were concerned about your budget. I am not in the parts business but do have some Rockwell 11" parts to help people in need. That's what I was trying to do for you. As it turned out, it was hardly a *for profit* venture for me & has caused me to rethink speaking up the next time someone is looking for a part.

David

You are absolutely right, David. You described it to me in detail and the price was right. I tried to do the same for richl. I'm sorry if the post came across as a complaint. It was not. In fact, the screw and nut in it were well worth the purchase price. It just didn't work for what I wanted. It would be fine for what Richl wants, though. I have nothing but praise for you and your dealings with me and would not hesitate to recommend you to anyone. I thought that maybe hooking him up with you would be a favor to you.

I appreciate your help in finding parts I have needed.

You are absolutely right, David. You described it to me in detail and the price was right. I tried to do the same for richl. I'm sorry if the post came across as a complaint. It was not. In fact, the screw and nut in it were well worth the purchase price. It just didn't work for what I wanted. It would be fine for what Richl wants, though. I have nothing but praise for you and your dealings with me and would not hesitate to recommend you to anyone. I thought that maybe hooking him up with you would be a favor to you.

I appreciate your help in finding parts I have needed.

No worries Tony, we're good. I'm not actively looking to sell any parts though. If Rich would like to borrow the compound & is willing to pay shipping both ways, I'd have no problem with that. However, the $6 you quoted for shipping was for the dial & scale, the compound would need to go in a medium flat rate box which would be $12.

David

No worries Tony, we're good. I'm not actively looking to sell any parts though. If Rich would like to borrow the compound & is willing to pay shipping both ways, I'd have no problem with that. However, the $6 you quoted for shipping was for the dial & scale, the compound would need to go in a medium flat rate box which would be $12.

David
Hey David
Pm me, I would be I interested in purchasing the compound. I have a hardinge 7"-9" model as well as an enco 13", each is similar to each other with many obvious differences. Having a compound from a Rockwell 11" would help me build something closer to the original. After I am done with it, I could offer to a member of the Rockwell yahoo group or here, helping someone else. Like you guys I am just a hobbyist having some fun making chips (in my case more rebuilding old machines than making chips right now ;-) I have an enco 13" lathe and a south bend vertical mill to make the necessary parts to complete the Rockwell 11x24 that I have. Other than the compound most of the LA he is there and in good working order (I hope)

Rich

Hey David
Pm me, I would be I interested in purchasing the compound.

Tony took some pics of the compound. Maybe you can pm him & he'll forward them to you. The offer of a loan is genuine & it isn't necessary to buy it unless you really want it. I'm also on the Yahoo group.

David

Back