The very sad end to some remarkable equipment.

Senna

Deceased
Rest In Peace
As many of you know I suffered a fire in my shop mid November. The weather conspired against me from the minute the fire was put out. We got socked with a 4-5 day blizzard which dumped 2-3 feet of snow which collapsed a portion of the weakened roof. Then it got cold. Not normal NE MN cold either but almost three straight weeks of temps well below zero.
All of this delayed my cleanup and machine removal until just recently. Finally got in there and started pulling machines out.
The adjuster already wrote off as totaled everything in the shop so it was just a matter of hitching a chain up and dragging them out of the shop.
This was very depressing for me and at times I just couldn't do it any longer. I let the scrap guy do it by himself.
I've decided to buy back both of my Gorton mills and my beloved B&S 13 at scrap price. I'll now restore all three, mainly to get rid of the smoke damage. Once I get my new shop I'll test run these and replace the items which need it and will likely get all of the electric motors evaluated and rebuilt if necessary.

Here are some pictures of the carnage and of the sad and sorry state of some wonderful old tools.

Gorton 9J Vertical Mill

SAM_0193_zpsb79fabbc.jpg

Gorton 8.5D Vertical Mill

SAM_0201_zpsba91fe54.jpg

KO Lee BA900X T&CG

SAM_0214_zps1d0c3a52.jpg

SAM_0199_zps4a8c49bc.jpg

Nichols 8SA Horizontal Mill.

SAM_0209_zpsaa0a9444.jpg

SAM_0195_zps4ecf3fa3.jpg

S-T 22-1500 Optical Comparator

SAM_0206_zpsf0c0df41.jpg

Bainbridge Horizontal Bandsaw

SAM_0219_zps840569cb.jpg

Sunnyhill (Taiwanese) woodworking jointer, 6"

SAM_0218_zpsbfc8053c.jpg

I have a bunch more that I haven't photographed yet.

SAM_0193_zpsb79fabbc.jpg

SAM_0201_zpsba91fe54.jpg

SAM_0214_zps1d0c3a52.jpg

SAM_0199_zps4a8c49bc.jpg

SAM_0209_zpsaa0a9444.jpg

SAM_0195_zps4ecf3fa3.jpg

SAM_0206_zpsf0c0df41.jpg

SAM_0219_zps840569cb.jpg

SAM_0218_zpsbfc8053c.jpg

That's just awful I can't even imagine how I would be able to handle something like that happening to me. Good luck on the restoration!

That's just awful I can't even imagine how I would be able to handle something like that happening to me. Good luck on the restoration!

It was, and continues to be awful but I was in the shop when it started on fire (sleeping in my easy chair!!) and after a couple fruitless attempts at putting the fire out I decided to get myself out before I couldn't any longer.

Seeing my wife and kids (after I woke them up on the orders of the FD) put all of this into the proper perspective.
I can and will restore or replace the machinery and will rebuild the garage, they're only things after all.
Having my children go through Christmas without their father would've been a tragedy infinitely worse.

Thanks for the well wishes.

So sad indeed.. :(
But you are right Ken, you and your family are well.. That's the most important.

Wish I was closer, would be glad to help you clean/re-establish..

Dan

Looking at the bright side, even though the machines look real awful and may even be outright considered as total loss by most people seeing them, I believe they are just mostly cosmetic damages with surface rusts that directly resulted from water introduction during the firefighting efforts. They are all covered with carbon soot for sure but the plastic push button switches were not even melted and you can see that the milling machine transmission belt and most wire insulation are still intact. No major blistering of paints or distortion of metal parts expected from extreme hot condition. There are many low temperature melting surfaces and components that should have been burnt in extreme heat but evidences showed otherwise - no burning or melting of the machines due to extreme heat.
I believe there's better than 95% chance that they can all be restored back to their satisfactory working conditions.
If only you have the time, patience and vigor to overhaul and refinish the machines before major corrosion sets in you would end up having them working just as good or even better than they did before.
I wish you all the good luck.

If that table on the KO Lee swivels keep it I will buy it off of you. Sad to see that stuff get scrapped. I'll make you a good deal on a T&C grinder & a Comparitor when your ready.

Thank you Rangerman, I also believe as you do that nearly all of the machines could be restored quite readily but the adjuster just told me that everything would be considered totaled out.
I think the three machine I'm buying back will provide me with all the restoration work I'll need for a long time!

I hate to see that Nichols scrapped though.

- - - Updated - - -

If that table on the KO Lee swivels keep it I will buy it off of you. Sad to see that stuff get scrapped. I'll make you a good deal on a T&C grinder & a Comparitor when your ready.

The table does swivel but since the scrap guy is doing all this work for just the scrap value I'll have to run this by him first.

I won't be needing a T&CG as I'm buying back the B&S 13 but I'll keep that sweet J&L in mind.

Thanks!

Thank you Rangerman, I also believe as you do that nearly all of the machines could be restored quite readily but the adjuster just told me that everything would be considered totaled out.
I think the three machine I'm buying back will provide me with all the restoration work I'll need for a long time!

I hate to see that Nichols scrapped though.

- - - Updated - - -

The table does swivel but since the scrap guy is doing all this work for just the scrap value I'll have to run this by him first.

I won't be needing a T&CG as I'm buying back the B&S 13 but I'll keep that sweet J&L in mind.

Thanks!

I'd suggest buying it all back, doing superficial cleanup on the stuff you don't want to take the time to restore, and selling it.

Ken,
I can only imagine what you are feeling based on the wretching in my gut when I look at your pics.
Rejoice in your bride and your boys.
Let me know if you need a hand, especially as during Academic Breaks or Summer approaches.

Daryl
MN

As many of you know I suffered a fire in my shop mid November. The weather conspired against me from the minute the fire was put out. We got socked with a 4-5 day blizzard which dumped 2-3 feet of snow which collapsed a portion of the weakened roof. Then it got cold. Not normal NE MN cold either but almost three straight weeks of temps well below zero.
All of this delayed my cleanup and machine removal until just recently. Finally got in there and started pulling machines out.
The adjuster already wrote off as totaled everything in the shop so it was just a matter of hitching a chain up and dragging them out of the shop.
This was very depressing for me and at times I just couldn't do it any longer. I let the scrap guy do it by himself.
I've decided to buy back both of my Gorton mills and my beloved B&S 13 at scrap price. I'll now restore all three, mainly to get rid of the smoke damage. Once I get my new shop I'll test run these and replace the items which need it and will likely get all of the electric motors evaluated and rebuilt if necessary.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back