The Voron kit build thread

LOL. It doesn't "look" dusty, it IS dusty. LOL.

Nice work on the Mini12864 mount. BTW, that Mini would be easier to remember if they named it Mini8675309. I can remember that. :grin:

For some reason, I thought that you were using a touchscreen. That BTT ecosystem that you mentioned the other day (MP8 & CB1) is pretty dang sweet plus you could add their 7" touchscreen, and it would dovetail right into it with minimal fuss. I would have gone that route in a heartbeat had it been available when I started my Voron.

:grin:

Yea, I keep going back and forth on the touchscreen.

They make a small 3.5" touchscreen specifically for the CB1, that connects via SPI. It wouldn't occupy any HDMI or USB ports, and it's only 20$.

Unfortunately, it's been out of stock forever.

Yea, I'm pretty gunshy about experimenting at this point. Everything is running so well.

I've got several touchscreens in a drawer right now that I'm not using. Maybe I'll image a new sd card with the CB1 OS a d experiment with the screens

I should be safe if I do my experiments with a new OS image, and keep the current one safe. I hope.

My 80% complete Trident has a BTT TFT 43 on it at the moment. In general I've been satisfied with the Prusa MK3 control which is similar to the Mini 12864. I have Octoprint within 6 feet so only a few things get done on the local display. The BTT is a touch display that uses the flat cable to the Pi. It is rather nice. After testing it a bit perhaps I'll sell the Mini 12864's that I have NIB and just get some more of these small touch screens. I don't think a larger screen is really needed, anyone have any use-case that 4.3 inches doesn't do?

4.3" is actually the perfect size for what I want.

Unfortunately, the Waveshare 4.3" usb-touch version i had in a drawer didn't work. Klipperscreen boots up, and it displays great but the touch function doesn't work.

according to BTT, unless i'm mistaken, the only touch screen the CB1 supports is the btt tft35 spi v2.1, which they made specifically for the CB1.

The distro of Debian that BTT made for the CB1, (Huraken, or something similar), has built in drivers for that tft35 V2.1.

I guess if i want a touchscreen, ill either get a raspberry pi, or get the tft35 v2.1 from BTT, when they get some in stock.

Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure the one @7milesup linked above, isnt compatible with the CB1. At least, my best google work indicates such. I could be wrong, but if i keep buying touchscreens that don't work, i'd be able to open my own store.

I keep seeing Pi 3A+ units for sale, maybe snag one of those to use the other display, it won't go to waste.

I keep seeing Pi 3A+ units for sale, maybe snag one of those to use the other display, it won't go to waste.

Yea, i have a couple Pi 3's and a Pi4 in my Ebay watch list. I keep holding out for a CM4 though. The CM4 is really cool, and will snap into my current system with almost no changes at all.

They problem is, it seems to be very popular with scalpers.

I haven't seen too many CM4's lately, there were a few 8GB the other day but those are too expensive and a waste for this. It will get better soon, they say. Ebay is probably not the best place to shop for these.

The CM4 is really cool, and will snap into my current system with almost no changes at all.
How does that work? I am confused by that statement. If you purchased a CM4 you would also need a carrier board, wouldn't you? So the requirement would be to take out the OPi and replace it with the CM4 and carrier board.

How does that work? I am confused by that statement. If you purchased a CM4 you would also need a carrier board, wouldn't you? So the requirement would be to take out the OPi and replace it with the CM4 and carrier board.

Nope. :)

The CM4 is a drop in replacement for the CB1.

The BTT Pi4B adapter board that my CB1 is currently plugged into, was actually originally designed for the Raspberry Pi CM4 module.

But, since the Raspberry Pi became so hard to get, they came out with the CB1 as an alternative, which can be plugged onto that Pi4B adapter board in lieu of the Raspberry Pi CM4.

The CM4 can also be snapped directly onto that M8P 3d printer board, the same way the CB1 does. The CB1 and CM4 have the same form factor, socket, etc.

So basically, If i found a RasPi CM4, I could keep the current Pi4B adapter board, and just replace the CB1 module with the CM4. Of course, afterward I would have to install Raspberry Pi OS instead of the proprietary Debian distro thats installed for the CB1, but thats getting easier every time I do it.

Back