Time to fix up the truck.

The cleaning and rust work is done and painted. The new wheel well is also done and painted. I just need to punch the 5/16 holes for the spot welds into the wheel well. Once I punch the holes I will sand off the paint around the holes and on the truck box and then repaint those spots with with a copper based weld through paint. Wes some of the paint will burn off around the weld but there will as little unpainted metal as possible. I also plan to lay a small bead of seam sealer onto the mating surfaces to try to keep water and air from ever getting to the welds. Once the well is all welded in and the sealer dried I will then put more paint over everything everywhere I can get to it.

The Rust bullet is a 2 part system, First coat is silver in color, and second coat is gloss black (comes in other colors to) I did not get a pic of the wheel well in the silver coat, just the black final coat. I measured the thickness and I am right on the recommended 6 mils for each coat. Since this will all be internal I did not bother setting up to spray it, it is all brushed on and no one will ever see the brush strokes when it is done unless they crawl under and stick their head up inside the space between the box and the fender.

I actually painted the truck last weekend so it is fully cured. The wheel well I just finished today and it is setting up pretty slow due to it being pretty cold out (Still above the recommended min temp of 40°F for the coatings) so it is drying slow. I am hoping it is dry enough for me to pick up and carry into the basement so that it will be dry enough to weld in tomorrow. The weather is calling for scattered showers possible and I will not play with the welder in the rain. Just 9 plug welds total hold that wheel well to the box and 10 more to the outer fender for now, There will be 7 more plug welds between the well and the fender patch panel when that goes in plus the joint between the patch and the fender will be a fully welded seam with hundreds of tiny tack welds.

First silver coat.
20231022_162940.jpg

Second Black coat. Not pretty but once all the new parts are welded in no one will ever see it.

20231022_181124.jpg

Next 2 views are the new wheel well all painted ready to go in.

20231028_195202.jpg

20231028_195218.jpg

Well I am done for this year. the weather will not be suitable to finish until next spring.

I got the inner wheel well welded in and fully "rust proofed" with seam sealer on all seams and a final coat of paint.

20231105_101802.jpg

I put on a temporary patch of 4 inch wide Gorilla Tape and a spritz of red Rustolium just to keep the snow and crud out over the winter.
From a distance it does not look to bad, Even up close it looks better than the rust holes.

20231112_163311.jpg

Back