Tool and cutter grinder build

You may like this Mark, I made some collet holders for the 2j. Made a hex and a square. They work great. Anyways, Found myself needing to cut a fairly precise angle on a piece of round stock one day. I drilled and reamed two 1/4 inch holes, 2 1/2 inches apart in the square block. And with 2 very good fitting pieces of drill rod, I had myself a collet block with built in sine bar. It works great. Sometimes I just use it as a sine bar. Redneck ingenuity lol
I don't quite understand.what are the two holes for?

My plan is to take a piece of 1" x 1/2" bar stock about 6" long and mill a slot in the center about .030" less than half the size of the square tool bit. Cut the block in half and sandwich the square bit in it. Put it in the 4 jaw and turn it round to 3/4" diameter all but 3/8" on the end. Then I can insert it in a 3/4" 5C collet to grind the square lathe tools. The square end is for alignment. With the tool head set at "zero", it use a small level to set the square end of the insert and then just set my angle as with any other tool using the index head. I can whip this up in about an hour (as soon as I find some CRS).

Mark, I took my square collet block, and with careful alignment, I reamed 2 holes 1/4 inch diameter, exactly 2 1/2 inches apart. I press the drill rod dowels into it and use them as a sine bar. Ill take a pic if I can remember. I use it in the vice on the mill to accurately cut angles. 2 1/2 was as far apart as I could space them. Works well with a 5 inch sine chart, just divide by 2 lol.

Hi Mark,
Your workmanship is awesome and to be admired. I've been looking at building a cutter grinder for a while now, so the information you have made available couldn't have come at a better time for me. I really want to thank you for the time and effort you put in to gather and upload all the information.
Cheers,
Ross

Hi Mark,
Your workmanship is awesome and to be admired. I've been looking at building a cutter grinder for a while now, so the information you have made available couldn't have come at a better time for me. I really want to thank you for the time and effort you put in to gather and upload all the information.
Cheers,
Ross

Thank you, If you build it and I can be any help, let me know

Mark
In my looking through some of my catalogs I found a square holder that will hold up to 1/2 inch, $25 plus. It is at MSC Industrial Supply. Here is the page with the info: https://www.mscdirect.com/FlyerView...82432204&contentPath=/sales-catalogs/big-book It can be held in a 25/32 collet.
Spec: Tool Bit Holders & Sleeves; Holder Type: Single-End & Double-End Tool Bit Boring Bar Set; Tool Bit Shape Compatibility: Round; Tool Bit Size (Inch): (2) 1/4; Bore Square: 0.5050; Bore Square(decimal Inch): 0.5050; Set Screw Range: 5/8 - 18

Let me know what you think.
Nelson Collar

I have been away for a week and just checked in. It is an awesome treat to see "The Frazier Tool Grinder" completed! Great work Mark. It really looks beautiful.
R

Thank you. It is 98% done. I am making tooling and adapters to grind various tools , but took a short break to do some needed repairs a round the shop. There will be more posts later on showing its use and I hope to do an operator's manual also.

Mark
In my looking through some of my catalogs I found a square holder that will hold up to 1/2 inch, $25 plus. It is at MSC Industrial Supply. Here is the page with the info: https://www.mscdirect.com/FlyerView...82432204&contentPath=/sales-catalogs/big-book It can be held in a 25/32 collet.
Spec: Tool Bit Holders & Sleeves; Holder Type: Single-End & Double-End Tool Bit Boring Bar Set; Tool Bit Shape Compatibility: Round; Tool Bit Size (Inch): (2) 1/4; Bore Square: 0.5050; Bore Square(decimal Inch): 0.5050; Set Screw Range: 5/8 - 18

Let me know what you think.
Nelson Collar

Those look interesting and I can see them being used to make an adjustable tool holder for things like boring.

Mark
Place one in a collet to hold square tool bits. Cut two slits on one end and flip and rotate 90° cut two more and the compression of the collet on the square holder should give plenty holding power.
just ideas
Nelson

Back