Tool and cutter grinder build

Mark
Place one in a collet to hold square tool bits. Cut two slits on one end and flip and rotate 90° cut two more and the compression of the collet on the square holder should give plenty holding power.
just ideas
Nelson

I have something similar in mind. I will cut a slot half the depth of the tool in square bar, cut in half, sandwich together,and turn round. The Collet compression should hold the insert in and the tool. Have not tried it yet.

I will try to find time to scan all of it and put it into a pdf.

I will have to check with a few people before I can share the scans. There is always a problem of copyrighted material. So need to get permissions before I can share.

That material is copy righted. Be careful. Member "Gadgetbuilder" aka John Moran is the designer. You had best check with him before you do anything either all or part. The copy right in this case is owned by "Village Press, Inc.

"Billy G"

Last edited by a moderator:
That material is copy righted. Be careful. Member "Gadgetbuilder" aka John Moran is the designer. You had best check with him before you do anything either all or part. The copy right in this case is owned by "Village Press, Inc.

"Billy G"
I emailed John and he was happy to send me a copy of all the plans, the original article and photos! He does NOT want this distributed by anyone else, as he wants to maintain control of revisions, etc. Very nice gentleman and got back to me right away .

This is a classic example as to why we here at H-M ask you to check for a copyright. You had to dig a little but the end result was as it should be -- no toes stepped on. Thank you for taking the time.

"Billy G"

From all I've read about them, the clearances are quite tight. If I were going to make one myself, I would probably try a piece of TGP round for the spindle and check to make sure it's size was uniform to a tenth or two, then I would rough in the spindle housing and take it to an automotive machine shop and have it finished on a Sunnen hone. I used to run one when I worked at a shop and you can get very tight clearances with straight uniform holes on one of those machines, if operated correctly.
Thats what I did for mine, for my single lip grinder to do small end mills. make spindle(polish) and then bore .004 undersize(per machine shop) they finished to sliding fit.

Back