Tool for quickly setting up your vice on the mill

Sure will. This will work great on the Burke #4 mill. I always have a hard time squaring the vise. This is so simple , I can't believe I never thought of it. The Burke has a nice flat dove tail column the Whole vertical length of the mill. This will work at any height an fast and easy.

I'll post a pic as soon as I get it done.

Mark Frazier

Hey Mark, you sound like a motivated man. Enjoy the process and let us know how it turns out.

Bob

I think you are asking whether the x and/or the y must be in the original position of fabrication in order for this system to work.
I must admit, I have not thought about that except for the following. Since the little plate (and admittedly, through the parallel tool I made) is now parallel to x and perpendicular to y, I think it will work universally across my table. But it IS the combination of that little plate and that particular tool, that results in my vice being squared away. I have not checked the little plate on its own, since it will "never" be used without the tool.

Is that what you mean? Otherwise, let me know how else I should be thinking, and thanks.

CannonFodder (Bob)

I couldn't see on my phone your using the bracket on the black protector for a reference point. Yes I'm copying your idea thanks.

This is so simple , I can't believe I never thought of it.

Mark Frazier

Ahh, the sign of a good idea! I'll have to try to find that original video where I saw this thing and give someone some credit where credit is due.

CannonFodder (Bob)

Ah, another way to skin the cat. Good job.

I put keys on the bottom of the vise so the gaps in the table do the locating.

Karl

That is a good idea also, but I'm afraid that my gaps are not smooth and finished nicely. I think I would get a different result based on the position of the table.

CannonFodder

I love it! It's soooo obvious that my head hurts,..... from banging it on the wall...

My situation is a drill press with an Atlas xy table that has a rotary base.. Took forever to tram the vice, and don't want to disturb it. As such, I've missed-out on alternative fixturing opportunities. You've freed me from my own OCD!

This is going into my 'round-tuit' jobjar. I'll be sure to post a pic when it's implemented.

Thanx, CannonFodder!

Hey Mark, you sound like a motivated man. Enjoy the process and let us know how it turns out.

Bob

OK guys..... I made this thing and it is great. I made mine 5 inches inside dimension because I don't use a vise bigger than that on my Burke mill. So I started with 9/16" key stock and clamped the two pieces together and drilled and reamed the holes in the ends to 1/4". I clamped them together to make sure the holes were parallel and straight with each other. this makes it go together more accurately. I polished the two registering surfaces and made sure they were parallel using my granite surface plate and a height gauge. The back side does not need polished because it goes against the movable jaw. I used 1/4" drill rod for the shafts. When assembled I rechecked it on the surface plate.

vise jig.jpg

Ok.... next I tried it on my Burke mill and it locates the vise accurately within less than .001" every time. that is good enough for most anything.

vise jig in use.jpg Here it is on my mill. the accuracy depends on you keeping it tight against the column while it is clamped in the vise and you tighten the vise hold down bolts. BUT IT WORKS EXCELLENT.

Thanks for posting this. It saves a lot of time and makes change overs so much easier and took about an hour to make.

Mark Frazier

( I'm going to paint it with grey hammer finish paint to make it look store bought :)) )

vise jig.jpg vise jig in use.jpg

.Good idea.I use a different method that works for me. I cut a 1/4" thick steel plate into a C shape. The portion of the plate I cut out fits in the vice, the rest overhangs the vice and sits in the table grooves.On my particular mill I pack the plate outwith several parallels , then tighten the vice screw.I then push or pull the vice so the plate touches the groove evenly on each side.
Last I snug the vice mounting bolts up.
When I first tried this quick set up I hoped for decent accuracy for set ups that did not need .0001 or so accuracy.I found that checking with an indicator over an 8" span that the difference was .002 on average. I don't bother using the indicator anymore for setting up the voce.
The steel plate has to be straight.I got lucky as the plate was off the shelf piece from a hardware store.I pack the plate with parallels only because I have to get the plate about centered in the table grooves.
mike

OK guys..... I made this thing and it is great.

Wow, your device looks great, and I'm glad it is working so well. Awesome job!!

The bad news is that I think you have inherited the job of naming it! :)

CannonFodder

.Good idea.I use a different method that works for me. I cut a 1/4" thick steel plate into a C shape. The portion of the plate I cut out fits in the vice, the rest overhangs the vice and sits in the table grooves.On my particular mill I pack the plate outwith several parallels , then tighten the vice screw.I then push or pull the vice so the plate touches the groove evenly on each side.
Last I snug the vice mounting bolts up.
When I first tried this quick set up I hoped for decent accuracy for set ups that did not need .0001 or so accuracy.I found that checking with an indicator over an 8" span that the difference was .002 on average. I don't bother using the indicator anymore for setting up the voce.
The steel plate has to be straight.I got lucky as the plate was off the shelf piece from a hardware store.I pack the plate with parallels only because I have to get the plate about centered in the table grooves.
mike

Hi Mike,

Yes, I can see how that would work, and even seems more simple in construction. In my case, I don't think I could use it because my T-Slots do not have accurate sidewalls. If you run your finger along the inside of a slot, it pretty much feels like very rough cement.

But I really like how it sounds so quick for you. Nice thinking!

CannonFodder (Bob)

Back