Tool for quickly setting up your vice on the mill

I love it! It's soooo obvious that my head hurts,..... from banging it on the wall...

My situation is a drill press with an Atlas xy table that has a rotary base.. Took forever to tram the vice, and don't want to disturb it. As such, I've missed-out on alternative fixturing opportunities. You've freed me from my own OCD!

This is going into my 'round-tuit' jobjar. I'll be sure to post a pic when it's implemented.

Thanx, CannonFodder!

You're welcome, and you said it perfectly - "As such, I've missed-out on alternative fixturing opportunities."

That's exactly how I felt!

CannonFodder (Bob)

Hey Everyone,

I re-found that original video that I saw sometime ago that showed me this tool.

You can see it at www.youtube.com/watch?v=76eqJCTSlrI

It appears that it was uploaded by Paul Compton - thanks to Paul!

And it's called ------------------------- (wait for it) ----------------------- a QUICK TRAM.

End of mystery.

Thanks,

CannonFodder (Bob)

Great idea Bob, today I will be mostly making one for my shaper, thanks for showing us that simply marvelous gadget....:thumbzup:

Bernard

Great idea Bob, today I will be mostly making one for my shaper, thanks for showing us that simply marvelous gadget....:thumbzup:

Bernard

Thanks Bernard, I hope you will be able to show us how it works out on the shaper.

CannonFodder

Bob

Hi Bob,
i know the next shop tool project now!!!!!
thanks for showing it!!!!!
:thumbzup3:

I use my vise all the time on the mill and this would be a nice project although I can dial it in within a couple of passes with my laser edge finder. I'm thinking that I will make mine adjustable to fine tune it, and I will also make it adaptable for setting the vise up in the other direction as well. I seem to use mine equally in both positions.

I'm thinking that I will make mine adjustable to fine tune it, and I will also make it adaptable for setting the vise up in the other direction as well. I seem to use mine equally in both positions.

My thinking as well, and it's taking some thinking that's for sure....

Bernard

Ah, another way to skin the cat. Good job.

I put keys on the bottom of the vise so the gaps in the table do the locating.

Karl

Interesting topic as I have also been toying with a quick vise setup and would prefer to use keys in the vise base idea. I have a King PDM 30 (Rong Fu RF 31) vintage 2000 made in Taiwan and for whatever reason decided to check out the table and the T slots to see how true they were. Using a fitted piece of steel proved that the slots are are very accurately sized all over the table. I put a DI in the quill and dialed the back of the table end to end, both sides of each slot, and the front of the table. In theory, if the slots are all parallel to the table, and if the table is perfectly parallel to the X dovetails, then moving any part past a single point (the DI stylus) should give a continuous reading of zero. If the table is cockeyed to the X dovetails then the sides of the table will show an error as will the T-slots if they are not parallel to the table itself.

I was very pleased that the table itself has zero runout end to end and is also parallel front to back. The T-slots however are slightly out, with the worst one having a .002" error. This is not an big issue unless you want to use vise keys. To me a vise setup need to be exact. I haven't decided what to do except to continue dialling the vise in.

Since I haven't heard anyone discussing this issue I am putting it out there as food for thought. Try dialling your table and slots to see what you are dealing with.

Canuck75

That is a good idea also, but I'm afraid that my gaps are not smooth and finished nicely. I think I would get a different result based on the position of the table.

CannonFodder
Not sure if it would make difference but don't make the key sit very far down in the gaps. Just enough to register. I cut mine a bit loose so I push the vice towards column and tighten down. Always close enough.

I use my vise all the time on the mill and this would be a nice project although I can dial it in within a couple of passes with my laser edge finder. I'm thinking that I will make mine adjustable to fine tune it, and I will also make it adaptable for setting the vise up in the other direction as well. I seem to use mine equally in both positions.

That is an excellent idea as I turn my vise 90 degrees frequently. I will just clamp it down and mill one end perpendicular to the register surface and fasten another bar across the end. then I can use it in both directions.

I learn something new here all the time,

Mark Frazier

Back