Tool Grinding...How'd I Do?

To answer the question in the OP: Fine. I don't see anything wrong for a first attempt. As said earlier; the proof is in the cut. As for water; I use it to save the finger tips not the steel. I wet the bit, grind until the water disappears and wet again. Repeat. It's just an old habit and I'm comfortable doing it that way. I don't quench. And to be honest, I can't remember when I last dressed my grinding wheel.

And I second (or fifth or sixth by now) the compliments on the beautiful work George.

Lots of different thoughts out there. I never knew there would be some many different angles and answers to my post. A couple things I will take away from this. Sounds like "cooling the bit" when it heats up and noticeable to your fingers its ok to "cool it" in water. Shouldn't affect the tool's cutting abilities.

Someone mentioned not using gloves around a grinding wheel. I was wearing gloves. I can''t imagine not using gloves as the bit would heat up way to fast for bare fingers, and no grinding would get done, or you would have to constantly cool and realign bit. My thoughts are the potential of wheel grabbing glove and sucking hand up into guards? I guess I will be careful. Perhaps I will build some sort of tool grinding holder. Any thoughts on this?

Now that I look at it the radius does look large. I will definately decrease the radius, but it did cut well on the AL I was cutting. I understand the possibility of chatter on material other than AL.

I actually enjoyed grinding the tool, was a little psyched out at first, but once you get the general concept of how the tool cuts, it all makes sense. The reason I made a cutoff tool is that I don't have a cutoff tool holder for my tool post. I have just recently picked up the machine. I got it for free from a friend who said it took up too much room in his garage and didn't want it anymore. He said I could have it for free. I said thats my favorite price....Sold!!! Now we are not talking about a really nice machine. Its a central machinery mill/drill/lathe combo. Its in good shape and I have already made some parts from it. Happy with it so far. I'm sure down the road I will pick up a better quality machine.

Thanks to everyones input, I'm learning new things from each post and learning about things other than tool grinding!! I have lots to learn, but enjoying every minute.

See pics of machine and first project.

Patrick

2013-01-11_20-07-55_774.jpg 2012-12-27_17-34-17_601.jpg 2012-12-27_17-33-56_197.jpg 2012-12-27_17-33-18_433.jpg View attachment 104970

I have just recently picked up the machine. I got it for free from a friend who said it took up too much room in his garage and didn't want it anymore. He said I could have it for free. I said thats my favorite price....Sold!!! Now we are not talking about a really nice machine. Its a central machinery mill/drill/lathe combo. Its in good shape and I have already made some parts from it. Happy with it so far. I'm sure down the road I will pick up a better quality machine.

I remember that machine being on the HF site, it's not there any longer. It looked bigger there but the reviews I read said that it was a solid, heavy machine and a good value.

Back