Tore Down The Head Stock On My 10l How Do These Bearings Look?

This is my experience with what I found when I tore apart my heavy 10 and it has the same bearings.

I found mine to be scored like yours's, not quite as bad, but not excellent. I got all flustered and thought it was going to be a junker. After reading what a lot of other guys said, some saying that it must be fixed, others saying to just claen it up and run it, see what happens, I decided to take a level headed simple approach and clean it all up, put it together and see what happens. What I did was made sure there were no high spots in the segmented cast iron bearings as well as on the super polished/hardened spindle bearing surface. I found the the cast iron bearings had very little to no high spots but the spindle had gauled material on the bearing surface. I stoned the spindle very lightly with a very fine stone where the gaulling was ( it wasn't much.) It seems fine to me. Think of the scoring as extra oil passages. This is what I would do if I were you. Afterall it's not much more work to take it apart again if this doesn't work and then figure out a different way to fix it (if it indeed needs fixing)

Hope that helps.

Think of the scoring as extra oil passages. This is what I would do if I were you. Afterall it's not much more work to take it apart again if this doesn't work and then figure out a different way to fix it (if it indeed needs fixing)

Thank you Thoro for your comment, I have come to the same conclusion. I just got the case out of the electrolysis tank and will be checking it for high spots, my spindle looks good no gaulling that I can see.

Jim

I have finally started to reassemble my heavy 10, here are a few pics. Some before and after.

phone 252.JPG phone 258.JPG phone 254.JPG phone 256.JPG phone 250.JPG phone 251.JPG co detector 003.JPG

Back