Tramming my Sieg SX2P mini mill (identical to LMS 3960)

petcnc: Thanks for the useful information. It will come in handy when tramming the mill I hope to be ordering soon from LMS. Roger

Have you ever check the accuracy of that glass plate? In another post someone told us how a glass pane miked .002" out. I would indicate the top of the table. The glass looks cool but I have never seen that done in a professional shop.

Richard, as I stated, it was not an ordinary window glass. It was salvaged from an old Apple One Scanner and "it was the flattest surface I had".
Of course it is not a surface plate! When I tested it for accuracy (rotating it on the mill and taking measures - checking thickness all around) I found it to be accurate +/- 0.01 mm, acceptable for a home workshop. I would be very dissapointed if this "poor man's surface plate" was used in a professional shop. I also tested tramming using a new car disk brake instead of glass and got similar results +/- 0.01 mm @ X and +/- 0.02 mm @ Y.

Petros

Last edited:
Thanks for the glass idea. I am using a scanner piece of glass and it does mic out to an acceptable level for the home shop. It made tramming the mill much easier.

Back