Treadmill Motor Help Needed

randyjaco

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I have a 2.5 hp tread mill motor I have removed from a Weslow 890 treadmill. I have set the electronics on a bench. Basically it runs.

I first should interject that my electronics skills are very basic. I would like to use this motor on a belt grinder I am planning to build. I would like to use the speed control feature but have no use for the other functions.

As I said earlier, the motor runs but as the motor starts to speed up. It stops and I get an error code. I really don’t want the control panel that came with the treadmill. Does someone make a reasonably priced controller system that just allows me to turn it on and off and allows me to control the speed?

If there is no aftermarket controller. How do I disable the other functions from the controller board? At the moment it will not run unless the incline motor is hooked up.

What kind of max RPM should I expect to get from the motor? I sure never turned any high RPM on the tread mill.

TIA any help will be appreciated.

Randy

Is there a board that looks something like this? That is the actual speed control board for the motor. It has the AC in, DC for the motor, and speed control in.
77933_COntroler.jpg

You can probably find the owners manual online and look up the code, but it sounds like lack of the tachometer signal. To use the controller that came with it and have it hold speed, it needs that signal. Dennis

Kerbigo's schematic pretty much sums it up, the L W H terminals are where you connect the speed control pot. L is the low resistance side, W is the wiper, and H is the high resistance side of the pot. You might want to add a switch to reverse the polarity of the motor leads if you want to run CCW.

also put your motor start and stop switch in the pot buy cutting a wiper wire and installing it there, then you can start and stop the motor where you left the speed on the pot set from before, not resetting every time from the off setting.

Thanks for the responses guys. the schematic helps but my motor only has a Black and Red wires. There are no Blues. It appears that I have a controller board and another circuit board that has some of the functions presented in the schematic. I will post some pictures.
Randy

Board.jpg Boards 1.jpg Boards back.jpg Skeme.jpg Motor choke.jpg

Last edited:
most motor only use 2 wire, revers the 2 to change direction, look at the mc60 drawing and that is what you have

It appears my questions didn't get into the last post.
Your schematic is a big help. One problem I see is that my DC motor only has a Black and a Reed wire. No Blues.
I presume the Pot is 5 Kill-ohms? I don't understand the part about clipping the wiper wire to get the on/off on the pot?
How do I set up the tachometer for the speed signal. How close should the sensor be to the revolving magnet?

Thanks again
Randy

Back