Triggered Strobe

Just to show what I am thinking of doing have done a rather poor drawing.
img168.jpgThe mill is variable speed so I can start at lower revs and work my way up the range.
Brian

Just to show what I am thinking of doing have done a rather poor drawing.
View attachment 111923The mill is variable speed so I can start at lower revs and work my way up the range.
Brian

Brian, hope you are making progress.

I am probably too late with this little tidbit but today while digging in the basement for information for another forum members question I found a hard copy of a manual for an old General Radio Strobotac . I did a search and found an online site for a similar historical manual that includes wiring information. It might prove useful for your project. As I recall the unit that I used, Model #1531-AB was a very handy for trouble shooting machine problems and the flash rate was adjustable. The link for a similar manual is here: http://www.ietlabs.com/pdf/Manuals/GR/1543 Strobotac.pdf . The manual that I have was not listed as available.

Good luck,
Benny

Hi Benny
Sorry for the delay in answering, just been up to my ears in things lately.
I fount the manual interesting mainly because the strobe had the external trigger function .
I have been over all the replies on this thread again trying to find a simple low cost solution.
I am now considering making a set of contacts that are opened by the movement of the case , and using these to fire a standard coil/ plug and use this to fire a timing light.
I will have to get coils for the engine so that is no problem . and it may be possible to borrow a timing light
from my friend in the garage. the sensitivity of the contact may be it's downfall but worth a try.
and thanks to all of you for coming up with ideas.
Brian

My late cousin worked on a diesel engine stroboscope that was triggered by a strain gauge on one of the injector pipes.

Hi Benny
Sorry for the delay in answering, just been up to my ears in things lately.
I fount the manual interesting mainly because the strobe had the external trigger function .
I have been over all the replies on this thread again trying to find a simple low cost solution.
I am now considering making a set of contacts that are opened by the movement of the case , and using these to fire a standard coil/ plug and use this to fire a timing light.
I will have to get coils for the engine so that is no problem . and it may be possible to borrow a timing light
from my friend in the garage. the sensitivity of the contact may be it's downfall but worth a try.
and thanks to all of you for coming up with ideas.
Brian
The inductive pickup on the timing light just needs a rapidly-changing current pulse. The voltage on the wire that passes through it doesn't matter. I think you'll find that a wire through the pickup and connected to a resistor, a battery, and a switch contact will trigger it. You might need to put a capacitor across the switch.

Hi John.
Now you have me thinking, that a 12v circuit with a bulb as a resistor/load and a ignition capacitor to stop arcing across the points may trigger a strobe. have I got this right??
Brian

Hi John.
Now you have me thinking, that a 12v circuit with a bulb as a resistor/load and a ignition capacitor to stop arcing across the points may trigger a strobe. have I got this right??
Brian
Right. You might need a larger capacitor: experiment.

Back