TSL Belts?

umnik

Registered
Registered
Finally, I got my lathe home and starting to bring it to good condition. First thing I found that three belts are in terrible condition and need to be replaced. From the manual (found on Yahoo Takisawa TSL group) I gathered that it's A-type belt but I am not sure about size. Any idea?
Here is my lathe, which is 15x40 variation.
20190919_123445.jpg
In manual different sizes are mentioned, depending on speed selections. That is what I have
20190925_224610.jpg

Take one of the belts to a local bearing house, they have a yardstick like device to measure the belt, order a MATCHED SET OF THREE to replace the old ones.

umnik,
I recall that I ordered belts per the size listed in the manual and they were not correct. I will second benmychree's suggestion to take one in for comparison, that's what I wound up doing.

Mark

Umnik, looks like your Takisawa is in nice condition. Congrats!

Thanks, kb58. I've already ordered 3 Gates A63 belts. I just cut one belt from my lathe and measured it's length, which came at 65". Will see if it fit once it arrives.

This post is a little older, but I'm hoping one of you can help me with manuals for a Takisawa TSL 1000CD I just bought. It's a 1992 model, and has 12 speeds, a D-6 chuck mount and looks very similar to the one Umnik posted--it has different levers for the feed controls, and the charts are in a different location. It also it doesn't have the lever that's just to the right of the chart with the speeds and feeds.

I found a parts manual and operator's manual for a similar Takisawa, but it is only 28 pages, and doesn't show how the change gears are set up, how many gears there are, and the tooth count.

Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated!!

Regards,

Smitty
Takisawa TSL 1000 Headstock.jpgTakisawa Gear Chart .jpgTakisawa TSL 1000 Controls.jpgTakisawa TSL 1000 Gear Dr.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Smitty,

The belts listed above are to long - I need to actually measure an old one I have.

Smitty, you've probably already figured this out, but I have the original manuals for my TSL-800, but they do not describe anything about the change gears. The only info, and I suppose the only stuff we really need is on the placards, showing the gear arrangements pictorially. It also identifies the gears as mod 1.5, and shows the full list of gears in the set, 8 gears. This is different than mine, which has 11 gears, with a 127 tooth included. I don't see how to get 13 TPI from the charts you pictured, and the gear sizes are quite different than mine. Will probably take some math, if you have not done that yet.

@Utah Smitty your machine appears to have a newer gearbox with a selector knob instead of the tumbler handles. Takisawa still makes these machines and yours looks identical the current ones. I presume they can help you with parts/manuals. All the older manuals/parts guides online that I have seen match the older style tumbler gearbox (which mine and most on here have). Compare yours to these: https://www.takisawa.co.jp/english/product/fs/tsl.html

Back