VN Universal sub-head on ebay

Quite simply put, the combination of a Plain Milling Machine and the "sub head" as you illustrate it, would make it possible with a dividing head that can be geared to the table screw, to cut spirals, including gears, without the need for a Universal Milling Machine. I have always had Universal Milling Machines in my shop, and it is more convenient to cut spirals with them, mostly easier to set up. I have a #2 Brown & Sharpe Universal Light Type with the true Universal Milling Attachment that swivels in two planes to any angle, and the short lead attachment, with which threads may be milled; I think it reduces all the normal spirals that can be cut by a factor of 20:1.

If there is any interest, I have the change gear unit and change gears for spiral cutting for a #2 Cincinnati (#2MI) Universal Milling Machine that I would like to sell.

Quite simply put, the combination of a Plain Milling Machine and the "sub head" as you illustrate it, would make it possible with a dividing head that can be geared to the table screw, to cut spirals, including gears, without the need for a Universal Milling Machine. ....

If there is any interest, I have the change gear unit and change gears for spiral cutting for a #2 Cincinnati (#2MI) Universal Milling Machine that I would like to sell.

Understood thank you for the clarity. Although it's gonna take some head scratchin to figure out why. Yes, I know this is completely obvious to some of you...

If the Cincy change gear unit were for a VN I'd be writing you a check instead of responding.

Daryl
MN

Quite simply put... I think it reduces all the normal spirals that can be cut by a factor of 20:1.

Benmychree

Please clarify the above statement.

"reduces .. spirals .. that can be cut" means "almost useless" to me.

Did you mean "reduces .. the setup time .. for spirals .."?

--frankb

I think I understand why either the mill table or the mill head (sub-head) needs to be at a designated angle to machine a helical gear.

With that said; Please correct me if I'm wrong but couldn't one could hook up the gear train from the dividing head to the table feed and using a ball end mill cut spiral flutes similar to what is on these gun barrels?

mcEPhDX7Tkvhxehd1VLcTsg.jpgm8EQqS9BxGDJQOFiZKkxEmw.jpg

mcEPhDX7Tkvhxehd1VLcTsg.jpg m8EQqS9BxGDJQOFiZKkxEmw.jpg

couldn't one could hook up the gear train from the dividing head to the table feed and using a ball end mill cut spiral flutes similar to what is on these gun barrels?

At a glance;

yep. Just takes an appropriate change gear. And perhaps a tail stock due to slenderness of the part.

But the part cannot taper. {Can't tell in the photo whether/not taper exists.}

If the part is tapered you are "screwed" -- and need another axis. Hence -- universal table.

If the material is such that you cannot get form/surface while cutting on both sides of the cutter {ball mill} you
are screwed; and need another axis to "adjust" your presentation angle and cut each face separately. on
a VN thats a subhead -- because the DH is only in X and the head rotation is only in Y. If the DH cou;d
be powered on Y you could use the main head to gain the cutting angle.

YMMV.

--f

Benmychree

Please clarify the above statement.

"reduces .. spirals .. that can be cut" means "almost useless" to me.

Did you mean "reduces .. the setup time .. for spirals .."?

--frankb
The short lead attachment reduces the rotation of the dividing head drive to 1 /20th of the rate of the table screw drive, thus making the leads available under normal circumstances reduced by that factor.

The short lead attachment reduces the rotation of the dividing head drive to 1 /20th of the rate of the table screw drive, thus making the leads available under normal circumstances reduced by that factor.

I don't think VN offered a short lead attachment for their mills. At least I've never seen it in any of the brochures or advertizing. On the Table of Leads it does have a list of short leads that can be cut by hand.

Mike

I don't think VN offered a short lead attachment for their mills. At least I've never seen it in any of the brochures or advertizing. On the Table of Leads it does have a list of short leads that can be cut by hand.

Mike

With the short lead attachment, the short leads can be cut under power; the attachment incorporates a dog clutch on it's gear train that allows disengagement when cranking back after the cut; the dividing gear train remains engaged. The shortest leads are cut with the spiral cutting gear train connected directly to the dividing head spindle with the worm disengaged. Their book, "A Practical Treaties on Milling" describes and illustrates / pictures all of this and much other stuff, and is a good read, even if you do not have their machine, although it might make a person want to own one ---

In a semi-related note I see ebay item: 261822665532 shows to be a sub-head that is "too big for a #12".

Not sure what machine it is for but someone here might as well get first crack at it.

In a semi-related note I see ebay item: 261822665532 shows to be a sub-head that is "too big for a #12".

Not sure what machine it is for but someone here might as well get first crack at it.

Yes, I've been watching this one.
Comparing the pics to the VN literature.
It appears that with some effort it will fit my 22LU.
Does anyone know enough about the VN sub heads to identify how much effort?

Thank you.
Daryl
MN

Back