Using Your Metalworking Machinery To Make Unique Gifts

I noted you design some amplifiers are they rf or audio amps?

I've designed both types but most were in the higher frequency regions, from 1 GHz to 40 GHz. The amplifier in the photo is a 45 watt vacuum tube guitar amplifier (see my signature line, the book is free but it is over 300 pages so it takes a while to download).

Before I retired, I was a RF/Microwave design engineer for several decades until I went into project management. I worked for a number of defense/aerospace companies, one telecommunications company. One of the last before retirement was Space Systems Loral where I did systems design for satellite hardware.

I made a plumb bob for a friend. It's really never going to be used, it's a show piece for his shop. Over 10" long and over 6lbs. The main body is bronze, wood is rosewood, ends are brass and tip is stainless steel.

that brings new meaning to the phrase "plumb, square, and level"

I have made several shaving brush handles. Good as gifts. Shaving with the safety razor and brush/soap cup has been making a come back. It is an easy thing to turn and be creative with knurls and tapers. For one or two you can buy a brush from the store and crack open the case to get the brush out and for more the badger hair brushes can be found on eBay themselves.

Very nice work ! I hope to crank some things like these soon. I also tend to write stuff down when I think something up. Wife tells me I am the biggest nerd she ever met.

I made a plumb bob for a friend. It's really never going to be used, it's a show piece for his shop. Over 10" long and over 6lbs. The main body is bronze, wood is rosewood, ends are brass and tip is stainless steel.

I have a buddy who did glass work on skyscrapers in NY, he had a plumb bob that he used that was as large as yours. That was years ago befor they had laser levels. It sits on a shelf in his office. Maybe I will make him one to add to his collection. Thanks for sharing

My wife's friend wanted something special for her rock garden so I made her something with a 80 pound rock, and it rocks! (They are balanced so that they move with the slightest wind).

rockybird4.jpg

rockybird1.jpg

karenbird7.jpg

I ended up having to make one for our house so I decided to make the male to her friends female bird:

2ndbirdfront.jpg

rockybird7.jpg

Holescreek,

Love the garden art, can you post a video of it in motion? What part moves in the wind?

Mike

I've never taken a video of it, it rocks at joint at the top of the legs so the whole body, head and tail swings back and forth like those old yellow plastic "drinking bird" toys that were around in the 60's. The tail fins are what catches the wind and since they're down low the movement isn't excessive.

I made the first one a female, the second one a male with his head turned with a strange expression. My plan was to make a third one as a baby but with duck feet so it'd look like papa was asking where momma had been. I have the head finished for a pelican but never finished the rest. It's all water pipe, re-bar and 20 gauge steel sheet and a 1/4" thick bottom plate.

I used to do a lot of indoor and outdoor stuff with pipe, sheet metal and whatever I could find. Here's a 10' street light in our back yard. It has a vine of leaves that wrap all around it. The scroll work is all black pipe and the light cover, pipe top and base is all 20 gauge sheet metal :

Lightposttop.jpg

LightpostLR.jpg

Lightpostleaf.jpg

I made myself a planishing hammer from a cheap air chisel to help with sheet metal forming for leaves and the bird faces.

Back