Van Norman #12 Base Makes Trip Into Basement

HMF

Site Founder
Administrator
Guys,

You CAN'T move a Van Norman #12 base (weighs about 400-500 pounds and is bulky) into your basement when you have an angular staircase with bends at the top and bottom.
The stairs won't support it. You will get killed.

But, a thick-headed Ukrainian-Irishman can't be told this.
First off- NEVER, EVER, EVER do this unless your wife is AWAY for the weekend (which she was this weekend). There are two things a woman NEVER wants in her kitchen, one is a Van Norman #12 base, and the other is an engine crane. Second, make sure you clean up good and fix any paint or plaster you damage.

Ok, here goes:

View attachment 1089

Engine crane set up:

View attachment 1090

View attachment 1091
View attachment 1092
Come-along holdback setup- 2 4x4's against doorway and adjacent wall

View attachment 1094

View attachment 1095

Making its way down the 2x12 ramp (secure the ramp together with a 2x4 at the top and one at the bottom as a stop. Cribbing at bottom keeps it in place)

View attachment 1096

View attachment 1097
View attachment 1098

Down at the bottom on the stop.

View attachment 1098

Cribbing keeps the ramp in place

View attachment 1099

Engine crane disassembled and ready to go down into basement to set up base.

View attachment 1100

Moving down from steps and into machine shop area

View attachment 1101

Machine base in place in shop area

View attachment 1102

249.gif 250.gif 256.gif 254.gif 262.gif 261.gif 289.gif 291.gif 255.gif 259.gif 257.gif 264.gif 290.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Thats totally amazing to me, not the fact that you moved the base into your basement but the fact that you actually took time to take pictures. I just hope your Wife does not get mad at you and use the pictures against you! :)

November X-ray link=topic=3618.msg26399#msg26399 date=1316380936 said:
Thats totally amazing to me, not the fact that you moved the base into your basement but the fact that you actually took time to take pictures. I just hope your Wife does not get mad at you and use the pictures against you! ;D

Actually, wife knows. I stayed home to start the moving process. Next it is the column, ram, knee and table.

Why did I take pictures? People are ALWAYS asking how to do this, and they get 100 different answers on other forums. I want people to see just how I did it, successfully, with a wooden staircase.

Nelson

Nelson, I really do appreciate the pictures even though I rarely take pictures myself. For some reason while I am working it never occurs to me to go find the camera. This is probably a good thing because if I lose my train of thought while looking for the camera I'd forget what I was working on,,,,,you know they say the memory is the second thing to go,,,,Funny, I cannot remember what the first thing is.:)

Planning is KEY.
I have the column on a 4-wheel handtruck outside under a tarp.
It will be rolled into the kitchen, lifted onto a dolly, then rolled to the ramp and lowered down the ramp, and lifted by the crane onto the base and then bolted in place.

Same procedure with the ram head, knee assembly and table.

Once these larger parts are in the basement, they can be stripped, repainted and reassembled.

That's the plan, anyway.

Nelson

Boy I wish I had a engine lift 35 years ago when we put a car engine (413) down my brother-in-laws basement and back up after it was rebuilt. We were young and strong then and yes foolish sometime also. I still don't have one, but I still got my SB9A off my truck when nobody was around to help. When you have the will there is always a way to do it. Good luck on the other parts.
Paul

Hey, thanks for the great pics.

I can't help but wonder though, if twenty years from now some poor SOB is gonna be standing in your basement thinking:

"How the hell do I get this Van Norman #12 milling machine out of my basement???"

Fly that sucker low & slow there Nelson,

PaulS

Actually,

Up is easier and safer than down. Reverse the process. Use the come-along to hoist the part up the ramp slow and easy, then use a pry bar to get it on a dolly or handtruck and drive it away.

The ONLY time I am EVER in danger of getting hurt (and have gotten minor injuries) is when the part FIRST starts moving from the landing down the ramp. That FIRST lurch forward is the MOST dangerous until the slack is used up and the holdback chain takes hold. If the takeup of the holdback chain is fast, keep your hands out of the way or you will be pinched or grabbed.

Nelson

Actually, that is not far from another way of doing it.

Remove the stair landing which is like a box formed of 2x6 lumber with subflooring on top, using an engine crane, chain hoist or other device from above, lower the machine part to the floor (no stairs involved- much safer). Then move it into position. Rebuild the stair landing.

Nelson

And I thought the trip into my basement with my mill was a chore!

Back