Van Norman #12 Base Makes Trip Into Basement

Hey, Nelson. Why not go one better and rebuild the top lading with a removable section or trap door? You're not done with the mill, and I'll bet you're not done with future acquisitions.

Hawkeye link=topic=3618.msg27345#msg27345 date=1317177431 said:
Hey, Nelson. Why not go one better and rebuild the top lading with a removable section or trap door? You're not done with the mill, and I'll bet you're not done with future acquisitions.

I considered that, but the landing is small and has joists supporting it. If I remove the joists to allow a hole to put machinery through, I compromise the structure and we need it to be sturdy as possible. if I make a smaller hole, then I can't fit things through it. The only way I could see was to remove the landing sub floor, remove the joists, move the machine, then replace everything back. That takes me longer than making a ramp out of 2x10s.

Nelson

Last edited by a moderator:
The column makes it down today

003.jpg

Same holdback rigging as before.

004.jpg

Starting down the ramp
002.jpg

Further down

005.jpg

It arrives at the bottom where I will move it to the workshop area with my engine crane.

What a weekend eh? Setting up VBulletin and moving another piece down to the basement.
Gotta make the most of these holiday weekends.

Nelson

002.jpg 003.jpg 004.jpg 005.jpg

Nelson,

Does that mean the wife went away for the weekend? I was thinking, "Oh, yeah. You wouldn't want to drop that piece, dovetails and all." Satisfying, isn't it? http://www.hobby-machinist.com/images/icons/icon14.png (I guess icons don't work)

She took the girls shopping, and my son was watching TV and didn't care (or help, typically).

As I figure out how to enable features, I am getting them going.
This thing has twice the features of SMF and they are all built-in (not modifications), so I will get them going soon.
Just tried the inline image feature, above, and it is really nice.

Nelson

IMG_0662.jpg

Off stairs and into hallway area

View attachment 94

Engine crane reversed, used to place column into workshop area

IMG_0668.jpg
On wood blocks next to base, ready to be placed onto base
Turned onto side to remove bolts on bottom

IMG_0662.jpg IMG_0667.jpg IMG_0668.jpg

Back