Voles/Moles a heavy burden

Hi @Janderso

I started using a steel trap for moles when my Dad showed one to me. I was a teenager then. No poison peanuts or gases .... that you have to worry about who or what might get into them. I have a couple of the steel traps I have picked up at garage sales over the years. Anyway, they work for the moles, and last for ever! I never tried them on voles. Because they are old mine look a little different. They have handle at the top for pulling on the spring and they seem to have a slightly different trip lever. You simply step on the dirt tunnel a little, where you want to set the trap. Push the side strong/wide trap tines into the ground, straddling the tunnel so that the sharp pointed tines are just at the surface of the ground and the trip lever rests on the depressed soil. The next time the mole goes through, the soil rises and trips the trap.... it gets him. Very effective. Just keep resetting it. You will get them all if you stay at it.

Dave L.

That's a shame. From what I understand, they are a mixture of wood dust, potassium nitrate, and sulfur. It is the sulfur dioxide that does the critters in.

We had had a recent mole explosion here and I will have to do something about it. I'm wondering if ammonia would also do the trick. Plug the entrances up and inject ammonia into the tunnels. Surely, CA can't object to that since it is a widely used source of nitrogen fertilizer by the agricultural industry.
It is californication as the song says.

Wonder if smoke bombs would work and be cheap enough, if You can get fireworks.

That vole-king steel mesh looks like the best bet to me. I've always lived where natures predators (hawks, coyotes, bobcats, etc) kept voles in check. Round tail ground squirrels on the other hand...

GsT

That vole-king steel mesh looks like the best bet to me. I've always lived where natures predators (hawks, coyotes, bobcats, etc) kept voles in check. Round tail ground squirrels on the other hand...

GsT
how do hawks help? I thought voles stay under ground and don't come up?

I guess I am thinking of moles, the little buggers w/out eyes.

GsT
We looked into putting the mesh around our deck to keep the moles and voles out. We gave up on the idea when we were told we had to dig it down to 3 feet to be sure they wouldn’t dig under it

One time had a serious gopher problem. These quitters usually have a good sense of smell. So, I emptied the ripe remains of the cat box into the holes. In two weeks, they were gone. :dancing banana:At the same time, I heard my neighbor complaining about an infestation of gophers. I suppose that I could had said something, but I did want a dope slap. :face slap: It was best to leave it at that. :oops:

Back