Voles/Moles a heavy burden

1708913172613.png

I have had fair results with this type. Ya gotta find an active hole. I use a 16 inch long piece of 1/4 round stock to poke around down inside the hole to get the direction of the tunnel. Garden spade to make sure you have opened the tunnel to the outside world. Mr. Mole don't like that, so put the trap down the hole to a spot he has to reach to do his plugging job. A piece of masonry string line to a concrete stake keeps the little rascal from dragging your trap farther down the hole. I have up to 7 at time set. I am keeping up with them, mostly, but my friends think I bear a likeness to Carl from the movie Caddyshack.:bang head:

The neighbor had a total jungle in their backyard and they pulled it all last year so the gophers and moles came to my yard. I have given up on having any open ground in the yard so it’s all either bricks, pavers or flagstone. Never had any grass until I put in some synthetic grass for the dog. He loves it and the gophers hate it. All plants are in pots except for the trees. I’m working my way around the house with this plan and so far I’ve not seen any more mounds. Hopefully with no place to come up and no food/roots they’ll go elsewhere.

Had voles before we adopted our semi-feral barn cat. None now. Takes care of mice and chippers also.
I had read that bubble gum, like Big Chew Original, placed in vole burrows gums up their works and kills them when they eat it.

Last edited:
Road flares work well.

Light one and stuff it in a hole and cover hole to plug.

Watch for smoke in other places, plug holes with dirt.

Gasses them.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Want to borrow a Rodenator. There is one at the farm. Using it in town may cause law enforcement to show up. I does work well with voles and gophers. It will take out the entire tunnel grass plants and all. The biggest down side it will set anything dry on fire. Traps will work, but are a pain to check and reset. In the orchard they don’t like where we flood irrigate. Still need to deliver the 2 1/4 steel bar to you. Found out it is tool steel and not 4140
Beggars can’t be choosy

Had voles before we adopted our semi-feral barn cat. None now. Takes care of mice and chippers also.
I had read that bubble gum, like Big Chew Original, placed in vole burrows gums up their works and kills them when they eat it.
We have lots of cats in the neighborhood. They are hunters but they just aren’t getting on top of the problem.

It says not allowed for woodchucks. So, it looks like it should be good to go for voles.
Unless you want to keep Woodchucker out of California, then maybe...:big grin:
How many moles can a wood chuck chuck if a wood chuck could chuck voles?

Here photo of guy trying to sell us gopher begon. By trying to break though gate.
I do my own gopher begon
20240226_105543.jpg

Voles are a type of mice that live in burrows. They don't make mounds of dirt at the tunnel mouth. If you live in an area that has frost, walking around when it is frosty is a way to find the active holes. The frost at the mouth of active holes is melted because of the heat from the voles inside.

Moles are hunters that eat worms, insects, grubs and such. They dig two types of tunnels. The shallow ones that often hump up above the surface are "hunting" tunnels, which are where their food source lives. They also dig "deep" tunnels for travelling and refuge. The hunting tunnels are mostly for one-time use, and the deep tunnels are reused often. If you use traps, they should be placed in the deep tunnels. Moles leave round, almost hemispherical mounds of dirt that they remove when making their tunnels. If you trap or kill moles, other moles often move in, using the old deep tunnels.

Gophers are rodents that mostly eat roots. They push out dirt from the mouth of their tunnels in a way different from moles. The tunnel mouth is angled to the ground surface, and the expelled dirt it pushed out of the mouth to the side, instead of mounded straight up. The tunnel mouth is closed up with dirt when not in use, so an open hole with fresh dirt spread out from it is an indication that the gopher is active and nearby. I have a truck built for forest fire protection on our tree farm. It has a high volume, high pressure pump and a 2,000 gallon tank. When I find an active gopher hole, I bring the truck over, put the 1" fire hose in the hole and start pumping with the engine at idle. Pretty soon a soaking wet gopher pops up stunned and shaking. You can just walk up an dispatch them easily, because they are too disoriented to try to escape. A garden hose will not deliver enough water volume to accomplish this.

Some cats and dogs will hunt and kill moles. They seem to catch them in the hunting tunnels. The same goes for gophers. Cats seem to be better at this than dogs.
I was able to follow my grandfather's method of killing gophers years ago when I lived in Lake Tahoe.
I used three of the green gopher traps, the ones with the L shaped sears that collapse on the varmint.
I dug out an intersection, placed the traps in their tunnels, tied a piece of string to each trap, put a fresh cut carrot in the middle of the traps and put a piece of plywood over the hole.
Three hours later I pulled out two dead gophers!!!
Maybe I could try this method on Voles/Moles??

Back