Wanted USA Tap Handles

G-ManBart

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I hate my small and medium tap handles, and have finally given up on them! I'm looking for something like a Greenfield No. 5 or 6 or a Starrett 91B or C. Generally something in the 9" to 14" range and maybe one of each size. I can find them on eBay but figured I'd see if anyone here has something first. Thanks!

I have no affiliation, other than being an elated customer some 5-10 years ago, but what you want is this: Northern Machine tap wrench . From tiny to large (1/2"? I don't recall) this replaced both T-handle and conventional wrenches, provides a center for guided tapping, and is the wrench I use 99% of the time. Late model Starretts, btw, have been miserably disappointing, except cosmetically (they still *look* like Starretts...).

These guys should take some marketing lessons because they make the best tap wrench I've ever used and it's always a PITA to remember what it's called, because they don't engrave anything on it.

GsT

Lathe and mill project?

I attempted to collect a good set of tap handles without breaking down and buying new Starretts (just no way guys). I went around eBay buying handles from Lufkin, Miller's Falls, and the like. They were used, and with the wear included, ended up frustrating me more than a one-legged cat trying to bury a turd on a frozen pond. So that plan failed almost across the board.

I realized that if I want a nice, tight set of tap handles at a decent price, I'd have to make my own. I haven't gotten to it yet, so if you go that route, you know, post?

Another vote for the Northern Machine Tool tap wrench. Is my favorite for small/med taps. I did a video about putting snap ring groove and a needle bearing on the centering nub to allow you told it in a chuck. Very versatile tool and made in the USA.

I have no affiliation, other than being an elated customer some 5-10 years ago, but what you want is this: Northern Machine tap wrench . .....
These guys should take some marketing lessons because they make the best tap wrench I've ever used and it's always a PITA to remember what it's called, because they don't engrave anything on it.

Wow!
Their tool must be so good they don't even need to get the reviewers name right:
View an excellent video demonstration, and unbiased review after purchasing one of our tap wrenches, by Tim Lipton of Ox Tools youtube channel.
(from the Northern link above!)
;)

Brian

Thanks for the info on the Northern Machine tap. I have a few other things higher on the priority list right now...power feed for the Bridgeport being tops. I was just looking to find a decent vintage tap handle or two that wouldn't break the bank, but I think I'll ultimately get the Northern Machine handle at some point.

I have quite a few tap holders .

1676331628735.png

Here's my favorite one on the top part of this photo that I made. I used the one on the bottom of the photo from my old tap and die set so I could copy the parts.

The balls are aluminum, the rest is cold roll material and the gripping parts were made with some hardenable steel. It was a fun project.
I should make a bigger one next. This one will handle up to 5/16 inch taps easily. Total length is about 8 inches. The balls give it a great
feel and makes tapping much less of a chore and easy on the hands too. I have posted this before and found it in my HM photo album.

Back