Ways questions

The chips are .. small on the out side edge of the ways .... in the last two pics it would be the right side edge ... i do wish i had a better camera .

This is a new development... as in within just the last few hours of use .
As to how bad it is .. my concern is not how bad it is now ... but how bad will it get .
The edge is chipped up the whole lenght of normal carriage travel .

The tail stock rides on the inside ... so it isnt causing it ... definatly carriage .

I do hate to be without the machine ... but this is why i choose grizzly over other importers .
So far grizzly is bending over backwards to make me happy

Well the ups truck will be here tomarow to pick up the lathe ..

I am still womdering what caused this to happen ... the cariage gibbs are properly adjusted and the carriage is clean with no swarf caught under it .

Are the chips on the V's or the right hand of the flats.

You sure thats not just the rough cast? They grind the top but the side is still rough cast. I could see it leaving a rough edge

Lmao ... @ the fish .

The chips are out on the flat side ... and up untill the last few times i used the lathe that edge was nice and square and chip free .

The cariage should be ridding on the V's and not touching the flats. At least that is how most are.

Are the chips the sort of wavy light dark patern on the side(right in pic) ?

I have a couple of patches like that on a lathe that might have been lose gibs and banging during interupted cuts and one im sure that i caused with a tool crash, owch.

stuart

It's a new machine, the chips just recently appeared, and they're getting worse? I'd be concerned too even if they aren't currently affecting operation.

somethings fishy about the first post.

Back