Ways questions

Stupoty ... yes sir .. i do realize its hard to tell but thats the problem area .
The gibbs are adjustested properly .. and i have never done an interupted cut ... and knock on wood i havent crashed it .

I was only half concerned about it as i would have rather waited to see if it became a problem ... but the nice people at grizzly seemed to be concened ... about both the problem and keeping me happy .

So they asked ... and i boxed it back up and it goes back in the ups truck tomarow

c9a9db309c5aeeffe1fcdbc1232d43f2.jpg

c9a9db309c5aeeffe1fcdbc1232d43f2.jpg

Replace it ... the worst part of the whole thing ..waiting ! .
Then having to clean up another machine .. maybe i should ask them to throw in a quart of wd 40

I hope they bother to look at the next lathe before they send you another of the same problem.

My friend Jon has a 12 x 36" belt drive bench lathe they no longer carry. Everything is gear head now in any decent size lathe, His rack has broken out teeth,and the gear that engages the rack are all dubbed over and ruined. Last time he needed parts,they took something like 2 years to get them. Now,no spare parts at all. I told him to turn the rack around backwards. I will fix the gear. If the newly exposed rack gets broken ,he's screwed Same with the gear I'm fixing,by moving the place on it where it engages the rack.

This lathe has too small a rack for it's size. It looks about 7/16" square(I didn't measure it). Just way to small,and made out of crappy metal. Possibly cast iron. I don't understand how the gear teeth got so destroyed. Probably made out of free machining leaded steel with no strength. The Chinese seem to make every part they can out of cast iron,even where it just just not appropriate. Like on a rack.

I would not buy another Chinese made Grizzly lathe. Get the Taiwan made PM ones,and pay the toll. My 1986 16" Grizzly is o.k.,and was Taiwan made,at least. Not Chinese.

There is a remote possibility that the rough casting edge was buttered with filler prior to finishing. The filler may have chipped off.

Years ago when I worked for a major domestic machine tool builder, the castings were dressed with stuff they called tiger hair. It was basically an auto body filler of some type. It made the castings look nice and smooth. In later years when the industry was fading, the process was discontinued to save on labor. The machines ran the same but never looked as good as the older machines.

I'm not curtain how close in quality a Grizzly machine is to the Craftex brand thats sold by Busy Bee here in Canada, but when you buy Craftex here the best thing is strip as much down as you feel comfortable with and clean, I've had 2 Craftex brand machines in the past and have helped a couple of people with there's and was amassed where I found chips and clumps of grinding dust, there not bad for the price but a thorough cleaning is essential to remove chips and grit before it gets where it just shouldn't be.

The fish picture is priceless...! Best laugh I've had in a while....:))

Donb .
I took mine pretty far down ... casting sand was every where except in the quasi gearbox .
Strangly i didnt find a speck of sand in it as expected .

George wilson

I looked at the pm machines .. and quite a few others .. i would have liked to have the pm but when it came down to it i chose the grizzly
Because the g0602 is generaly a well thought of machine .
And because of grizzly's customer service.
My biggest concern with pm was what if i have a problem like i have right now . And the lathe needed replaced .

Grizzly is large and has great customer service .. and carries enough stock that replacement shouldnt be an issue .

From what i gather pm is a small operation catering to a smaller market .
Not that i think i wouldnt get great service from pm ... but if i had a problem there is a good chance id be waiting for the next container to arrive from asia

And lastly ... the pm machine was out of my price range ...

Stupoty ... yes sir .. i do realize its hard to tell but thats the problem area .
The gibbs are adjustested properly .. and i have never done an interupted cut ... and knock on wood i havent crashed it .

I was only half concerned about it as i would have rather waited to see if it became a problem ... but the nice people at grizzly seemed to be concened ... about both the problem and keeping me happy .

So they asked ... and i boxed it back up and it goes back in the ups truck tomarow

thats awsome, maybe they had some issues with a production run and are aware of a hardness issue with the ways?

always good when a manufacturer is concerned with issues on new tools.

Stuart

Good news for me today .
A nice fellow from grizzly called ... my lathe arrived there and he inspected it .
His exact words were .. yes sir its #$/&#$ up and we are very very sorry this happened
And not only will we get a new lathe on ots way to you we will open the crate and inspect it before shipping . .
So i should be back im chips next week sometime :)

Back