Webb/Takisawa TSL-800D, curious if there are other owners here

pontiac428,
As I have noted before, these lathes aren't rare, but are certainly less common in the hobbyist world. That has kept the amount of information limited and that was why I started this thread. Production-wise, I know from conversations with Webb, they alone imported 3500 units, add the Yuasa variant and any other rebadged models and I would say a minimum of 5000 made it into the country. The rugged design, coupled with the fact that most of these came in between 35-40 years ago and are likely still owned by the original companies makes for a small number in the non-commercial sector.

I'm just a bit eccentric and have a bizarre streak that drives me to assess the construction/design of anything. After owning and often dismantling numerous lathes, this one struck me as a well thought out design even with some of its simplistic quirks. On top of that, it has proven to be the smoothest cutting lathe I have ever used and I am comparing that to my previous Graziano SAG14, which was a wonderful machine (just unnecessarily long).

The other deciding factor that applies to me, is the fact that I am dealing with a very limited shop space and there are other lathes that will equal or exceed the abilities and features, but require a footprint I am not willing to deal with. I have great respect for the Monarch 10EE and love the Art Deco design, but the footprint of the headstock area is not really a comfortable fit in the space I have.

I wish you well on making a decision to undertake the journey for a lathe in unknown condition. There is enough industry in your area that could mean something worthwhile might pop up locally, so the decision to wait is up to you. If you should take the plunge and join the ranks, I think you will find that there are some great people that can help you out. I will warn you that if you should wind up with a broken component, consider that parts support is non-existent beyond mass produced items such as bearings and you may have to fabricate any machine specific parts.

Entropy stops for nothing, but if you can locate an example in reasonably sound condition, you should expect good service coupled with minimal maintenance within the limited use by a hobbyist/prototype operator.

Mark

Thanks, Crank. Funny you mention it, but I'd drive to the moon for a Graziano SAG-14; that is my benchmark for a larger lathe and my basis for comparison when looking at this TSL-800D. The owner says he's had it for 20 years and it's been one lathe in a shop full of machine tools.

This is what I'm looking at. Any thoughts based on 9 photos and a conversation with the seller?

https://portland.craigslist.org/grg/tls/d/grangeville-lathe-metal/6943477060.html

Well, here is my thinking on it for whatever meager amount it is worth...

Appearance: - Looks to have been luckier than most in regards to paint deterioration and looks original.
- Overall no significant signs of abuse and/or neglect
- Doesn't look like it's under power as I see no cabling and since floor at edges of machine look too clean, maybe just moved there?

Equipment: - No toolpost
- No 3 jaw chuck
- No evidence of threading dial in any picture
- Missing previously discussed extra gears
- Does have original steady rest that came with it
- 5C collet closer and adapter a reasonable accessory, but unless production is in your future, a novelty, no notes IRT collets coming with it.
- Coolant pump is a factory unit, but I removed mine and never plan to use flood coolant.
- Foot brake, again is factory equipment.
- 4 jaw is great, but you will want a 3 jaw for day to day workholding

Price: High for what I see in the pictures.

Value is subjective, I traded the previously mentioned SAG14, which was in exceptional condition, for my grubby Takisawa and I know the guy felt like he had taken me for a ride, but he handled the transport of both machines (120mi. each way) and we had run each others machines prior to making a deal. I saw the way that poorly kept Takisawa ran and knew I had lucked into a machine that would work better for me than the Graziano ever could. I wanted a shorter lathe with maximum stiffness and he needed the 60" between centers for his business. I saw the diamond hiding in the mud. I miss one or two features, but that would never make me want to trade it back. I won't dissuade you from admiring the Graziano, they are amazing, but I thought I had reached the high water mark for a precision lathe with that one and the humble Takisawa proved me wrong. YMMV :)

Overall opinion is that I would be hesitant at that price point considering the added travel costs, lack of all the accessories and whether or not you can run the machine to put it through it's paces. If the seller is willing to bargain and dependent on your emotional desire to own one, then feel confident that the lathe is not a train wreck to steer clear of based on what is shown in the pictures.
Good luck!

Mark

P.S. I completely forgot to mention that the lathe looks squeaky clean and that will save you dealing with major housekeeping issues.

Last edited:
Pontiac, the Takisawa you’re looking at is almost mine exactly. I notice the longitudinal feed cutoff is missing completely...I have found that a valuable feature.

Seems expensive compared to what I paid.

They are terrific lathes.

Winegrower is right, I completely missed the fact the rod is missing.

Thank you both for the feedback. At this point in my life, I'd rather not make a project out of sourcing or fabricating parts that I'm not familiar with. I'm going to pass on this particular one and keep looking. I'm sure I'll find something comparable within the year.

Finally in her place in the garage. It was a bear to clean, requiring acetone to cut through the layers of grunge. The Buck chuck was abused and worn as well so both it and the tool post were upgraded.

As an aside, everyone talks about the importance of getting extras with a mill or lathe. While true, if those extras need replacing, it means the buyer pays twice, once up front, and again to buy the replacements!

Attachments

• IMG_20190804_110513.png
    IMG_20190804_110513.png
    441.9 KB · Views: 69
Nice work! That cleaned up very well. If you have a need for that 3 jaw, let me know.

Mark

I don't know how to contact an admin in order to create a Webb/Takisawa sub forum and put all these posts there. Pretty sure we've reached critical mass by now.

Anyway, after using my new-to-me lathe a bit, I'm pretty sure that I have a worn cross thread. Has anyone replaced theirs, and if so, what was involved. I haven't started looking yet but assume that Webb doesn't have new ones (or they're $$$). Is it as straightforward as getting a section of Acme thread (if that's what it is) and machining the ends to suit?

Kb58, I saw a YouTube video where the guy hacked off the worn end of his Takisawa cross screw and welded on a replacement, and made new nuts. Wish I had a link.

I am not happy with the tailstock quill lock, but can’t figure out how to get it apart. The docs I have don’t include the tailstock drawings. Any advice is appreciated!

Back