Webb/Takisawa TSL-800D, curious if there are other owners here

Thanks for the assistance, Crank. I will do as you suggest, and I'm happy I stopped when I did!

Off subject a bit, but I talked to the guy with the one on Facebook and Craigslist in MN. Sounds like no accessories other than what was pictured.

Ryan

Not even close to $2k like the add said.

Mine came with a collet closer, steady rest, a few tailstock centers and chucks, a full set of gears, Aloris Tool post and a couple holders, and a kind of interesting turret that I don’t know what to do with. But no follower rest or taper attachment. $3250.

A note to owners: My lathe had a bunch of damaged/destroyed ball oilers, so I looked into replacing them. I assumed that they were metric, but they're actually inch parts(!), 1/4" and 5/16" (P/N 1214K2 and K1214K3 from Mcmaster, roughly $2.50 each). You'll need six small ones and three large ones (and before you say, "no, there's only 5 small ones", check the left end of the carriage stop rod, where I found the sixth only after I'd already ordered them). They fit great, and a surprise for something manufactured in Taiwan in 1979.

Last edited:
Mine came with a collet closer, steady rest, a few tailstock centers and chucks, a full set of gears, Aloris Tool post and a couple holders, and a kind of interesting turret that I don’t know what to do with. But no follower rest or taper attachment. $3250.
If you can't stand having those change gears taking up shelf space, I'll be up that way in September for the hill climb, and can stop by to help you unload them :)

Last edited:
There's something going on in the apron of my newly-acquired TSL-800. Using the threaded drive rod, the carriage moves normally. Using the slotted drive rod though, results in the carriage stalling out. That is, I engage the drive, the apron/carriage starts to move okay, then it'll just stop. No bad sounds, it just stops. Playing around with it, I found that even very light hand pressure can stop it feeding. When this happens, the drive rod continues turning like there's no problem. If it's a worn gear, I'd expect to hear it clunking, but there isn't any odd noises. I'm thinking that there may be a clutch in the apron that hopefully just needs adjustment—and not replacement. Looks like I get to explore getting the apron off!

Kb58, I would like to take my apron apart for cleaning and getting the oil pump working. I tried once, and quit in fear.
Please take notes and pictures, and stop by when able.

Hi All,

I am well into the refurbing of my lathe. I need to replace some of the small copper oil lines in the apron. Seem to be 3mmID/2mmOD and 4mmOD/3mmID. Where can I find some of this stuff?

I will be pushing a lot of pictures onto a web site and will send out the links in the not to distant future.

Thanks

Ray

Kurt,
I finally got a chance to look up what is going on and there is an adjustment for the feed clutch. Go to the manual and it is very vaguely referenced on page 22. I can probably swing by this weekend if you need a hand to get it adjusted.

Mark

Back