Welcome! Please stop in and tell me what you would like from this board.

RaisedByWolves

Mangler of grammar, off my meds.
H-M Supporter Gold Member
No sense inviting people to a blank page, so I figured I would start the conversation off with taking requests or suggestions to be passed up the chain for approval and improvements to our board.

Feel free to start your own thread to ask questions, show off your PRAZI machines or whatever you like.

Im thinking of a stickied thread containing members projects specific to these machines, related to improvements and modifications, separate from the regular members section to help us get this off the ground initially. A we can see how things go and progress from there.

Thanks for your interest.

He, glad to see this open up!

For me, there was a lot of confusion about the whole Präzi SD300 versus Hobbyman MD65 question. In the UK you have what seems to be a larger following of the Hobbymat machines, which all seem to be 220VAC, with about 2/3 of them being metric and 1/3 Imperial. These ave different parts (mostly lead screws) from each other, and the buttons/switches and wiring vary some. The US spec Präzi machines all seem to be 110VAC and Imperial, with small number being metric.

I would like to compile a very complete photo catalog of all the variations of these machines, if only for reference. (Personally, I geek out over stuff like this, so I would peruse it just for enjoyment).

I would like to see included things like wiring diagrams of both the 220 and 110 machines and a comparison of the DDR machines versus the end-of-run post-reunification machines, WHICH ARE DIFFERENT, as DDR/USSR parts disappeared and had to be sourced. Some say these machine were not as good as the earlier DDR machines. I would like to see exactly why this is.

My German SD300 is a nice machine, but my DDR SD300 is more solidly built and has different controls.

I will come back and post photos of my two machines as my time for these projects becomes more available. I had started a complete teardown, ran into an obstacle, and stopped until I can address it. But I just picked up some parts from eBay and might end up back on this in February if the craptastic weather does not improve soon. <g>

Thanks for starting this thread. I hope it becomes more than the two of us. COME ON, PEOPLE! POST STUFF ABOUT YOUR HOBBYMAT OR PRAZI MACHINES!

Wade

For me, there was a lot of confusion about the whole Präzi SD300 versus Hobbyman MD65 question. In the UK you have what seems to be a larger following of the Hobbymat machines, which all seem to be 220VAC, with about 2/3 of them being metric and 1/3 Imperial. These ave different parts (mostly lead screws) from each other, and the buttons/switches and wiring vary some. The US spec Präzi machines all seem to be 110VAC and Imperial, with small number being metric.

I would like to compile a very complete photo catalog of all the variations of these machines, if only for reference. (Personally, I geek out over stuff like this, so I would peruse it just for enjoyment).

I would like to see included things like wiring diagrams of both the 220 and 110 machines and a comparison of the DDR machines versus the end-of-run post-reunification machines, WHICH ARE DIFFERENT, as DDR/USSR parts disappeared and had to be sourced. Some say these machine were not as good as the earlier DDR machines. I would like to see exactly why this is.

My German SD300 is a nice machine, but my DDR SD300 is more solidly built and has different controls.

I will come back and post photos of my two machines as my time for these projects becomes more available. I had started a complete teardown, ran into an obstacle, and stopped until I can address it. But I just picked up some parts from eBay and might end up back on this in February if the craptastic weather does not improve soon. <g>

Thanks for starting this thread. I hope it becomes more than the two of us. COME ON, PEOPLE! POST STUFF ABOUT YOUR HOBBYMAT OR PRAZI MACHINES!

Wade
I would love to participate in your compilation. I have an older Prazi, Lathe/Mill combo from DRG. German built machine. It’s been sitting since I purchased it a few years ago due in part to the motor being smoked on the mill. I was fortunate enough to purchase said motor from Raisedbywolves so now I can get this thing going and see what she is all about. Just let me know what you need from me. Thank you

Just wanted to stop in and post a couple of pics of my machine as it sits right now. I finally got the mill going so I’m siked to dig into it and learn as much as I can about them. Would love any information you guys can give on my machines. Don’t know much about it outside of it being made in DPG Germany

Attachments

• IMG_1430.jpeg
    IMG_1430.jpeg
    198.2 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_1429.jpeg
    IMG_1429.jpeg
    201.2 KB · Views: 14
Main thing with the milling head is understand its limitations and be careful shifting gears.

Only shift gears with the motor stopped and make sure to rotate the quill when attempting to get it into another gear. if you force the gear levers you can get it into two gears at once and burn up the motor. Move the levers while rotating the quill by hand and you will feel them engage.

Of course I should say you should have the machine unplugged when doing this.<<<<Roll eyes smiley.

Wade
Wade, any info you could generate showing the differences between the SD300 and the DDR SD300 would make for the start of a great thread.

I have some thread ideas but work and family life have taken unexpected turns lately, so time is short for me.

Main thing with the milling head is understand its limitations and be careful shifting gears.

Only shift gears with the motor stopped and make sure to rotate the quill when attempting to get it into another gear. if you force the gear levers you can get it into two gears at once and burn up the motor. Move the levers while rotating the quill by hand and you will feel them engage.

Of course I should say you should have the machine unplugged when doing this.<<<<Roll eyes smiley.
Yes, you are dead on about shifting the gears and rotating the quill,lol. I figured that out by engaging two gears like that. I just did not have the machine running at the time. Had to remove the side cover of the mill head and play with the shift forks to figure it out though. Got it down pat now

Wade, any info you could generate showing the differences between the SD300 and the DDR SD300 would make for the start of a great thread.

I have some thread ideas but work and family life have taken unexpected turns lately, so time is short for me.
So what does DDR stand for? Russia? I know, I should probably know this. Also, what is the SD300? I was of the understanding that they were designated by the BFE and BF prefixes. I need to be schooled as I said,lol

So what does DDR stand for? Russia? I know, I should probably know this. Also, what is the SD300? I was of the understanding that they were designated by the BFE and BF prefixes. I need to be schooled as I said,lol

My PRAZI lathe is an SD300 and my mill head is a BF500.

Hobbymat designates the same lathe as an MD65 and the mill head is a BFE65, then there are other makers of the same machines sold under different names.

Yes, you are dead on about shifting the gears and rotating the quill,lol. I figured that out by engaging two gears like that. I just did not have the machine running at the time. Had to remove the side cover of the mill head and play with the shift forks to figure it out though. Got it down pat now

I have a thread on here about what I've done to my mill, notably for a stock machine, how to relieve the insane quill spring tension as they come from the factory.

So what does DDR stand for?
I know nothing about the Prazi/Hobbymat machines and don't own any (quite like the look of the Compact 10 though ;)) but I think in the context, DDR stands for Deutsche Demokratische Republik, AKA the old East Germany. :)

Back