Wellllll I Guess I Am Going To Cnc My Enco 45 But Slowly

Your BOB isn't designed to be panel/chassis mounted that's the issue. I would mount it internally where it makes the most sense, then run a cable from there over to a panel mounted coupler for the USB and DB25. That gets you through your cabinet to the outside world, just connect a cable from there to your computer.

For the USB I would use something like this so I could just drill/punch a round panel hole for it http://www.amazon.com/Switchcraft-E...sbs_147_9?ie=UTF8&refRID=0C4G79KJHFJ19AY3XF04

Go to Digikey's web site, search on DB25 and have a look at the "housings" here's an example that might work for you. http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/205165-1/1122-1149-MIL/132220

When building vacuum tube guitar amps you have to be quite careful about the grounding scheme and AC power routing so that you don't have 60 cycle AC hum coming out the speakers. You can induce AC hum by routing AC power too close to signal wires or components. Poor placement of the transformers in the chassis. You can induce AC hum by poor chassis grounding schemes grounding signal carrying components down stream of large current AC power sources, where the chassis has become a ground wire basically.

There are a number of best practices, twisting AC pos/neg wires together for example so that they cross each other a few times per inch, a cordless drill is a good tool for this. Here's another tip, discover "top coat" wire, its still flexible and comes on a spool but has a top coat of tin so that if you bend it into a shape it holds that shape. With Teflon insulated wire the top coat is less effective but helpful. You can find this type of wire for sale by suppliers who cater to guitar/amp builders. Shoving twisted pair AC power wires into the corner of the chassis e.g. the corner of the chassis provides a bit of shielding. Where you have to cross an AC power source with a signal wire cross it at a right angle vs say running them parallel to each other.

Many have probably hear a guitar amp humming loudly but its entirely possible to build a 100 watt monster amp with zero hum. On my first successful build I wasn't hearing any hum at all, turned the amp up to like 8 and all I heard was some white noise hiss, thinking something was wrong I hit a cord and about blew my ear drums out. Don't let the 100 watts fool you, for a tube amp that is stadium concert loud as all hell.

Possibly overkill for wiring up a CNC control box but proper layout of components with some logical thought to separating large AC currents from small, or AC from DC is a cheap way of avoiding glitchiness.

That is what my plan was when done with the wiring was to wrap with shielding but the bulkhead plugs are a good idea and will order tonight, Jim gave a similar suggestion also so now just loo0k for best unit for my app.
Thanks Coolidge & Jim Dawson
Bill

I have the DB25 panel mount on the way and have taken care of the 5 volt USB by installing a 110volt outlet and will plug in a wall wart phone charger for power, it will make it easier to power the vent fans with a cheap 12 volt power supply also.
all I need to do is finish mounting the BOB to the panel, wire up the drivers and plugs (Then shield shield & more shielding)
Bill

Thanks for the info Bill. I am planning to get a mini mill sometime this year and was planning to install a DRO but you and Steve have me reading all I can find on converting a mill to cnc so I can do that when the time comes. Thanks again, I will be following closely. Ed.

Well I got back to the shop FINALLY!! and made some progress on the electrical s BUT still waiting on the plugs for the stepper to panel cables.:burned up:IMG_3674.JPG IMG_3675.JPG IMG_3674.JPG IMG_3675.JPG IMG_3676.JPG
Here are a few pics showing what I have been up to. I said SLOWLY on this build but did not think it would be this slow.:pickaxe: IMG_3677.JPG

Well I got back to the shop FINALLY!! and made some progress on the electrical s BUT still waiting on the plugs for the stepper to panel cables.:burned up:View attachment 106272 View attachment 106273 View attachment 106272 View attachment 106273 View attachment 106276
Here are a few pics showing what I have been up to. I said SLOWLY on this build but did not think it would be this slow.:pickaxe:

Nice job on the enclosure! It took me about 10 months to convert my mill to CNC and work out the bugs. Keep working at it.

Tom S

Thanks Tom
It has turned out to be more of a job than I thought it would be.
Yours turned out real nice, I am jealous.
Bill

Looking good Bill!

One recommendation I would make would be to put a fast blow fuse or breaker between the power supply and driver. I stalled one of my 1600oz steppers for a half second but it was enough to blow some of the rectifier diodes on the driver board.

Jay

Looking good Bill!

One recommendation I would make would be to put a fast blow fuse or breaker between the power supply and driver. I stalled one of my 1600oz steppers for a half second but it was enough to blow some of the rectifier diodes on the driver board.

Jay
I know I would forget sumptin, what amps you put in yours??? I will have to get on fleabay and find some online fuse holders.
I did get the panel mounted on the wall today and took the plugs in the panel and am direct wiring to the stepper motors and will put a plugin at the motors. Got the cooling fans in (1 sucking 1 blowing) also and test powered the panel & guess what no sparks,smoke and all lights came up green yeaaaa!
Thanks for the heads up on the fuse/breaker I will go hunting for ? amp breaker/fuse.
Bill

I know I would forget sumptin, what amps you put in yours??? I will have to get on fleabay and find some online fuse holders.
I did get the panel mounted on the wall today and took the plugs in the panel and am direct wiring to the stepper motors and will put a plugin at the motors. Got the cooling fans in (1 sucking 1 blowing) also and test powered the panel & guess what no sparks,smoke and all lights came up green yeaaaa!
Thanks for the heads up on the fuse/breaker I will go hunting for ? amp breaker/fuse.
Bill

No fireworks = good!

Look at what you have the driver amps set for and use a fast blow fuse of that amperage or the next closest size up.

Jay

Back