What Did You Buy Today?

@Badabinski

I have run out of places to put my tools and have been looking at the smaller version of these General tool boxes. I would be very interested in your or anyone's opinion of them once they are loaded and have been used for a while. I was thinking of their 26"x22 " Series 2 model. The idea is to eventually have a several of them so they are task/machine orientated. Otherwise I would go for the larger one like you got.

View attachment 363021
I have the blue versions in 26" and 44". Both loaded down with tooling. Both have been working great. As Bruce mentioned one of HF's best products they sell. You can't go wrong with these.

Another big plus to the harbor freight. It’s probably the nicest box I have. Out of Kennedy, husky, craftsman, and some other name brand (around $2000) box. It’s definitely the nicest no doubt. And my brother got me a scratch and dent model and paid only $300 for the 44” version.

Finally got my DoAll 16" bandsaw up and running. The saw has a blade welder, I had no issues welding up some 1/4" and 1/2" blades, started stocking up various blade widths and teeth per inch coils. I have a HF 7" x 12" horizontal/vertical, and a Craftsman 12" wood bandsaw. The DoAll is replacing the Craftsman and gives me the option of slowing it down for steel or speeding it up for wood. The stock here ranges from 1/2"-3 tpi (looks WICKED), to 1/4"-32 tpi. I had a really good score on eBay for 3 of the coils, won them for $22 including shipping. The others were in the $20 - $50 range. Should be all set for a while. I figured the extremes were good to have: 1/2"-3 and 1/2"-6 for wood, 1/2"-24 for 1/8" steel or aluminum, 1/4"-32 for 20-gauge steel and thicker, 1/4"-6 for wood (plus a couple of duplicates).

Bruce

20210419_161038.jpg

Picked up a Seneca Falls 'Star' lathe No.30 over the weekend. I could not post since it takes a day to get registered. This is my first post.

The lathe included a 3 jaw chuck w/2 sets of jaws, 1 hp 120/208 single phase motor w/all the required pulleys, tail stock w/2 drill chucks, 11 gears and a handful of cutting bits and the original legs. Everything works and the ways have minimal ware. The owner had it for 30 years in his garage for making random parts for his Harley. It was never abused. A good cleaning is all it requires and it's ready to go.

It cost me $350 plus i got about 12- 6 foot lengths of stainless 1/4 thru 1/2 inch for an extra $25.

Im planning on restoring it over the summer with maybe a few mods.

Just bought two things at auction tonight, a Harvey Butterfly die filer and a Lexipro MiniRhino hydrodynamic bar feeder. Don't need either one so they will be for sale eventually.

I bought a Harbor Freight 44" tool chest online a couple of weeks ago. It arrived a couple of days ago, but today was the first time the weather was nice enough for me to move it out to my shop.

I'm pretty pleased with it! Harbor Freight doesn't lube the drawer slides enough, but 20 minutes with a grease gun full of SuperLube fixed that. I'm excited to finally work on decluttering my shop!
I've had the same cabinet for 7-8 years now and I'm completely satisfied with it. It's every bit as good as my 45 year old Craftsmans,
if not better.

IMG_1334.jpeg

Bought a new dead blow hammer to replace the Stanley Compothane hammer that's coming apart when I use it. There was a
post recently about these where folks said they would fail fairly quickly, but this one lasted decades. I hope the new one
lasts as long.

View attachment 363198

Bought a new dead blow hammer to replace the Stanley Compothane hammer that's coming apart when I use it. There was a
post recently about these where folks said they would fail fairly quickly, but this one lasted decades. I hope the new one
lasts as long.
The Stanley hammer has a lifetime warrantee.
The old formulation of plastic, over time, would become brittle and crack with little provocation.
Take it to a Stanley distributor and they should replace it.
My local tool dealer didn't have the size in stock so I had to wait a while, but the new one did arrive.

Finally got my DoAll 16" bandsaw up and running. The saw has a blade welder, I had no issues welding up some 1/4" and 1/2" blades, started stocking up various blade widths and teeth per inch coils. I have a HF 7" x 12" horizontal/vertical, and a Craftsman 12" wood bandsaw. The DoAll is replacing the Craftsman and gives me the option of slowing it down for steel or speeding it up for wood. The stock here ranges from 1/2"-3 tpi (looks WICKED), to 1/4"-32 tpi. I had a really good score on eBay for 3 of the coils, won them for $22 including shipping. The others were in the $20 - $50 range. Should be all set for a while. I figured the extremes were good to have: 1/2"-3 and 1/2"-6 for wood, 1/2"-24 for 1/8" steel or aluminum, 1/4"-32 for 20-gauge steel and thicker, 1/4"-6 for wood (plus a couple of duplicates).

Bruce

View attachment 363153
I was curious how the cost compares to premade blades. I've thought about TIG welding blades because I sometimes run across bulk blade stock. I pay about $30 blade for a 93" blade.

Back