What Did You Buy Today?

That's good to hear. Someone posted on these a while back. Was it you David? Anywho, that's what prompted me to take a look, and order. Cheers, Mike

Those are handy as they will cut a 90. (right?)
Isn't the finish amazing on a proper face mill!!
Yup, mine will cut 90 deg shoulders. I was a bit concerned about my round column mill being stiff enough to manage but it does just fine on both steel and 6061. Plus with the straight shank I just put it in a MT collet so so there's minimal stickout. Works like a charm, throws chips everywhere though :eek:

Today I picked up
  • Starrett Protractor head #12
  • Starrett 12" rule
  • Starrett 6" rule #13
  • Starrett combination head
  • centre finding head that I believe to be Starrett but it is unmarked
This was all one lot on my local Kijiji. I payed up, but i'm happy to have them.

Does anybody know what is the best method to remove any slight staining on the rules?

Thanks for looking.

Cool stuff at my store

20210416_204148.jpg

Today I picked up
  • Starrett Protractor head #12
  • Starrett 12" rule
  • Starrett 6" rule #13
  • Starrett combination head
  • centre finding head that I believe to be Starrett but it is unmarked
This was all one lot on my local Kijiji. I payed up, but i'm happy to have them.

Does anybody know what is the best method to remove any slight staining on the rules?

Thanks for looking.

Cool stuff at my store

View attachment 362896
I purchased a set of Starrett Telescoping Gauges last year that had similar staining on them. I used these Miracle All Purpose Polishing cloths that I purchased on Amazon. They made them look like they were brand new in very short order. Original saw them on Abom79 and decided to try them. Amazing results with very little effort. Just cut a small piece from one of the cloths and rub. They turn black and regardless of the amount of black, the small cuts continue to work.

Here is the thread where I posted the before and after of my telescoping gauge clean up.

Thanks for your response Papa.

Your link now says that the product is not available. I checked with Amazon.ca and found a quagmire of crazy shipping cost and super long delivery dates.
I see the product mentions coconut oil, hmmm... Wife has a big tub.....

Maybe Ill try coconut oil and a micro fiber cloth Can't see it doing any harm.

Just checked with SWMBO and turns out the huge tub of coconut oil has expired so here goes.
Don't get me started on huge quantities of stuff from Costco grrrr....

Well 30 minutes later and the rule stains maybe slightly better but I can't recommend straight coconut oil.

On the other hand my square now smells delicious. and I have a hankering for a Bounty bar.:)

20210417_093100.jpg

Last edited:
@Joe065

I went to Amazon and did a search for "Miracle Polishing Cloth with Coconut Oil" found plenty still available.

Here is the one of the links. Not sure if it is because you are in Canada or not. The cloths are made by a company that restores guitars. It is good for wood, metal and other materials. I hope you can find some, because these cloths are short of amazing.

UPS dropped this off yesterday. Had borrowed one from my neighbor when my 3/4" pneumatic wouldn't take off some of the lug nuts on one of my larger trucks. He said they bought it for on the road flats on the dump trucks, and it was as powerful as their big 1" air gun. Gave it a go, and I was amazed, so I treated myself. 1000 lbft tightening, and 1400 coming off, think this will become my new go to for the shop. No cords, or air hoses to mess with, and fairly light weight. Think i will get there 4 1/2" grinder now that I have the battery's, and charger. Mike

Attachments

• IMG_20210416_181836776.jpg
    IMG_20210416_181836776.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 30
  • IMG_20210416_163240740.jpg
    IMG_20210416_163240740.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 30
Back