What Did You Buy Today?

I bought this mid size Victor torch when I lived in Anchorage 40 years ago.
Was doing some brazing the other day and the thumb wheel on the acetylene valve fell off. It's not repairable. This morning I had to go to Minneapolis Oxygen to get some welding rod and a spring hat so I brought the torch body along.
They had a new valve stem/thumb wheel in stock. The counter guy even installed the new one for me.
40 year old tool and a new replacement part in stock. $18.90 + tax.
it's why make an effort to buy USA made stuff.
Proof of of my new valve part and cap.

Attachments

• 322202484223.jpg
    322202484223.jpg
    182 KB · Views: 24
  • 322202484235.jpg
    322202484235.jpg
    676.8 KB · Views: 24
I bought this mid size Victor torch when I lived in Anchorage 40 years ago.
Was doing some brazing the other day and the thumb wheel on the acetylene valve fell off. It's not repairable. This morning I had to go to Minneapolis Oxygen to get some welding rod and a spring hat so I brought the torch body along.
They had a new valve stem/thumb wheel in stock. The counter guy even installed the new one for me.
40 year old tool and a new replacement part in stock. $18.90 + tax.
it's why make an effort to buy USA made stuff.
Proof of of my new valve part and cap.
You know, everybody says buy once cry once. I says buy once, cry once, then enjoy it for a lifetime. Might have needed to scrap the torch if it was of lesser quality.

You know, everybody says buy once cry once. I says buy once, cry once, then enjoy it for a lifetime. Might have needed to scrap the torch if it was of lesser quality.
Completely agree.

However, I'm getting to where I know there are some tools I'm only going to use a handful of times. For those I buy the cheap ones. The theory is, if I wear it out or break it, it's been used enough to buy a good one! The broken cheap ones have proved a good one was needed, and the unbroken cheap ones have earned their keep.

I mean, how many of us have 40+ years left to wear out good tools anymore! :)

I have an Airco torch setup, including regulators, that is at least 75 years old and still going strong. Parts are still available from Concoa, including the seals that keep the gas and oxygen separate where the tip adapter meets the handle. These seals are the only thing I have had to replace.

Completely agree.

However, I'm getting to where I know there are some tools I'm only going to use a handful of times. For those I buy the cheap ones. The theory is, if I wear it out or break it, it's been used enough to buy a good one! The broken cheap ones have proved a good one was needed, and the unbroken cheap ones have earned their keep.

I understand. Sometimes I buy "value engineered" stuff. Just today I returned a magnetic spark plug socket to Autozone. Spark plug sockets aren't used every day and don't get torqued like crazy so I didn't think I needed a Snap On. Had it for 12 years or so. The magnet shattered and fell out of it so it would no longer hold the spark plug inside. Still had the original blister pack so I showed the parts dude it said "Duralast" and "guaranteed for life". Kid said he had never seen packaging like mine but went and pulled one off the shelf and handed it to me. I reckon I can make the AutoZone run a few more times before I will catch the Snap On price.

IMG_1376.jpg
Besides, the neighbors get concerned when I sit around admiring my tool anyway..........................

I understand. Sometimes I buy "value engineered" stuff. Just today I returned a magnetic spark plug socket to Autozone. Spark plug sockets aren't used every day and don't get torqued like crazy so I didn't think I needed a Snap On. Had it for 12 years or so. The magnet shattered and fell out of it so it would no longer hold the spark plug inside. Still had the original blister pack so I showed the parts dude it said "Duralast" and "guaranteed for life". Kid said he had never seen packaging like mine but went and pulled one off the shelf and handed it to me. I reckon I can make the AutoZone run a few more times before I will catch the Snap On price.

View attachment 487490
Besides, the neighbors get concerned when I sit around admiring my tool anyway..........................
I'm flabbergasted that you still had the blister pack after 12 years. I'm curious, did you store the set in a tool box or hanging, when not in use?

I'm flabbergasted that you still had the blister pack after 12 years. I'm curious, did you store the set in a tool box or hanging, when not in use?
Hangs on my junk hook. Was in the back until this morning. Helping a girl (friend of my 34 year old daughter) who wants to tune up her own car.
image.jpg
Zooming in kinda close so @woodchucker can’t start shopping my workbench

Kidding, woodchucker is the best.

Got a Kurt scratch, and dent DX4 for 200.00 off, I ordered it Friday, the lady insisted that it had to go Fedex overnight for 585.00. I told her it could go ground, she let the shipping dept get a quote, and it was 140.00 overnight, and I got it this morning:cheerful:

Last edited:
Completely agree.

Completely agree.

I hear you and do not disagree - especially on the aging thing.
On the other hand, what about a cheap tool that fails before it does you any good?
I recently sold a piece of property.
Had to move two old semi trailers that had been parked on it for 30 years.
I hired a man with a tracked excavator to lift the front of the trailers and back them out of the trees that had grown up around them.
He had a brand new, gold colored 3/8" "high test" chain he bought at harbor freight. We hooked it to the 5th wheel pin and then to the hoe to lift the front of the trailer.
The chain snapped almost immediately.
I had my two little 9/32" osha approved rigging chains with me. We used one of those. It did the job handily.
I bought my little chains used but am certain they would have cost a heck of a lot more than his did when they were new.
But let's say I bought them new and they cost 3 times more than his chain cost.
Which chain was the better value?
By the way, long story but we ended up having to use the excavator to move one of the trailers over a mile.
The way he had it hooked to the bucket caused a few links to get chewed up and damaged. Grrr.
The hooks were fine so I bought new chain. It had grade 100 chain before so that's what I replaced it with.
And paid the extra $2.50/ft. for USA made chain.

Attachments

• 323202483415.jpg
    323202483415.jpg
    929.8 KB · Views: 17
Back