What Size Lathe To Grab 8.125" Plate?

south <Minneapolis Mn> glad to help, can swing 14 inches send PM

Here is a 9" + dia plate turned on an arbor with my 10" lathe...Bob

Wow if I had a good way to get a center that might be an option. Sparks are flying truing up the 7 5/8 pieces that I have. Interrupted cut and the scale from the plasma. I only built in .125 extra on my cuts.

I can grab about 9inches or more with my 8inch 3jaw on my 12" atlas, turn the jaws to grip OD, hell I even grabbed 8 inches with my 6inch 4jaw, kinda sketchy but it held

I tried with my 6" 4 jaw and I could not even get one thread engagement all the way around.

I,ve used my mill on plates as long as it had a center hole that i could chuck up...put the cutter in the vise ;-)

Well my 6inch must have a little more stroke than yours....lol
At least that's what she told me

I turned a piece of torch cut plate on my 9" SBL many years ago. It was around 8-1/2" OD soild! Had to take a side grinder to the OD of the plate to tame down the torch cut a little. It was slow cutting using the back gears.
The way I held the plate in the chuck was. I drilled and tapped four 3/8" holes at 90 deg apart on about a 6" bolt circle. I installed some short socket head cap screws and tighten so the heads were sticking out on the face of the plate. Next, I turned the jaws around on the 4-jaw chuck and clamped on the heads of the cap screws. Lined it up and started cutting. When I finished one side, flipped the socket head screws from one side to the other side. Continued machining. Worked out like a charm!

I have held parts like that by drilling and tapping a 1/2 13 hole thru part then using a 1/2 13 piece of allthread thru part with a washer and nut at both ends of spindle . Also have bored a bore on part and held part with an id collet.
jimsehr

I guess I failed to mention that the plate has a ruff bore already (plasma cut) and it needs to be finished out to 2".

Bore it on the mill to 2 inches then hold it on a id collet.
jimsehr

Back