[Documentation] Working Group - Thread Collection - Place Links, Source Materials, Images we want to use here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim F

Registered
Registered
I think a link to this sub-forum should be included.
Could we get someone to edit the spelling errors ?

Is the idea behind this to gather the best of well worked threads into subject groups for beginners?

I put this thread on "watch".

Is the idea behind this to gather the best of well worked threads into subject groups for beginners?
Not necessarily a consolidation of threads as your question implies. I just want a container for everybody's contribution to this specific problem - and try to keep it somewhat isolated from the general members so we can have a sandbox to play in and create a sub-forum that meets the needs of what everyone is clamoring for. This will end up resulting in us creating stickies, categories, etc. potentially - at least based on what I've read so far from the members.

I think the intent is to construct a worksheet to simplify/streamline the process of advising a member who wants to purchase a lathe. The worksheet should guide/help someone describe their desires and constraints affecting the choice.

@vtcnc

Bryan,
Is it your intent that we should abandon the "Suggested sticky" thread and migrate the discussion here?
I guess I don't know the contemporary definition of "sandbox".
Please 'splain.

@vtcnc

Bryan,
Is it your intent that we should abandon the "Suggested sticky" thread and migrate the discussion here?
I guess I don't know the contemporary definition of "sandbox".
Please 'splain.
OK, sorry. Let me try and convey my intent here.

Having one thread on the forum often leads to several pages of what ultimately is a meandering discussion that is often left to die on the vine. I'm not suggesting that will definitely happen on the Suggested Sticky thread, but if history serves as a guide - we won't come back to the thread in months.

So...having a sandbox in a semi-private mode lets us "test" out some ideas and forum software features that may help us arrive at a solution:
  • We can create several threads - you can see I started two threads: one for a Mill and one for a Lathe. They are silly examples, but it gets us a place to start.
  • We can create stickies and sub-forums.
  • We can put all of the attachments in one place and they won't get lost in the thread.
  • We can experiment with the PREFIXES, if you notice this is things in the title that say things like "documentation", "please read first", "wtb", "lathe", "mill", etc. (Prefixes can be created to say whatever we want and color coded and stylized which may help us arrive at a solution)
  • A "sandbox" is like a test environment that is not open to the public. This is semi-public in that if you know the URL, you can find this sub-forum and threads contained within. But the sub-forum is invisible to the list and will be hard to find for the vast majority of members. That keeps it relatively limited to this working group. I can restrict it to certain members if we find it is getting flooded with nuisance posts. But the point is to help keep it focused on the intent, which is to create something that works with the forum software without it getting polluted with general discussion and side topic hijacks.
  • We can post polls limited to the working group members.
Does this help?

I like this idea, so we don't overload the public thread and stuff gets lost .

@vtcnc

Only helps a little, at this point. I'll revisit it later and maybe more will percolate through on how the "working group" is to proceed.

It seems to me that creating a lathe pre-purchase worksheet is a project that is generally considered to be a good idea.
Some (three?) draft formats have been offered, without much specific comment. Specific comments work best with me. May be intimidating to others.
Beyond that, I'm a bit lost (don't know what to do next).
IMHO, A reason those threads, as you describe, are "left to die" is because they have no specific objective or a leader.

I'm anxious for some structure and a leader. Choices need to be defined and selected. Is that's intimidating?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back