[Documentation] Working Group - Thread Collection - Place Links, Source Materials, Images we want to use here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
@vtcnc

Only helps a little, at this point. I'll revisit it later and maybe more will percolate through on how the "working group" is to proceed.

It seems to me that creating a lathe pre-purchase worksheet is a project that is generally considered to be a good idea.
Some (three?) draft formats have been offered, without much specific comment. Specific comments work best with me. May be intimidating to others.
Beyond that, I'm a bit lost (don't know what to do next).
IMHO, A reason those threads, as you describe, are "left to die" is because they have no specific objective or a leader.

I'm anxious for some structure and a leader. Choices need to be defined and selected. Is that's intimidating?
OK. The pointed feedback I heard on some of the document drafts:

1) checklist may be too scripted or too narrow,
2) rating system could be helpful in offering direction,
3) open ended questions and narrative is highly desired,

Some of the sentiment I will try to summarize, but not necessarily related directly to the drafts:

4) while a step-by-step process may be the most efficient way to select a new machine, it may not be the most effective depending on communication styles, levels of experience, what does the buyer want to do with the machine, etc.? How do we have our cake and eat it too?
5) some members may just not play well with direction, how to avoid this? is there a requirement to avoid this? Or do we just do something to help make the situation better overall?

I think a grand unification effort of the draft submissions is in order. I will give it a go later and post here. Perhaps this will help with solidifying our direction and shaping next steps.

My goal will be to try and combine the best of the drafts and come up with a couple of "policy" statements we can agree on as running rules for a thread for both participants and members who want to help.

Bringing this over here since this seems to be the new place to discuss this

I'm getting the vibe that asking someone to answer some questions can seem intimidating. Really?

Would adding an explanation that "I don't know" is an acceptable answer serve to assuage the fear?
IDKs would guide the further discussion as effectively as a definitive answer.

Depends on how it is presented.

Test anxiety is a real thing and a checklist looks like a test.

Consider two options

A) A banner at the top that provides a list of information that will be very helpful if addressed when asking "new machine" questions.

B) A link to go fill out a checklist and we will talk to you after you are done.

Both of these work, and honestly B has the benefit of making people put a little bit of effort into their search before posting. It also looks like we are giving them homework, which it kind of is. It is the kind of homework many of us did on our own (to the best of our ability at the time) before asking, as I get that most of us are "checklist guys".

I've worked with people who do not do well in test situations. Very smart people, and very good working with their hands but they just shut down at the sight of anything that they perceive as a test. I suspect if presented with a checklist, they would leave the discussion, but if asked the same questions in a casual back and forth they would be very involved.

A has the benefit of being a softer approach, a suggestion to help them get the information they need.

This is my very long winded way of presentation matters. The checklists and guide ideas are great as a resource, I'm just concerned about how they are rolled out. My preference would be for A with the guide and checklists being prominent links, that are very much placed there for the benefit of those interested in using them but clearly not an expectation.

This also has the benefit that those who do go the extra mile may attract more interest from those getting burned out by the one post wonders.

@Aaron_W
@Jim F

Your input would be much more clear, to me anyway, if you would post a document with your proposed language. That's my particular learning disability.

If we could present it in a way the newbie describes what they intend to do with the machine, and what their interests are.

Here is a quick thing I did.

Attachments

• Questionare.pdf
    28.9 KB · Views: 20
I revised my introduction a little.

Attachments

• Hobby Manual Lathe Pre-Purchase Worksheet (V3).docx
    17.1 KB · Views: 19
I revised my introduction a little.
this is what we are talking about, look at mine, we are asking the same things, just a little differently.
If we can merge all of these ideas into a presentable format, I think we will have a win.

@Aaron_W
@Jim F

Your input would be much more clear, to me anyway, if you would post a document with your proposed language. That's my particular learning disability.

Kind of what I had in my first post, just a simple statement with a list of key factors that should be addressed by the person looking for a lathe if they expect to get useful answers. So something like:

When making a post asking for advice on buying a machine, please try to address the following points to the best of your ability. There are a lot of variables when buying a machine so the more specific you can be with your particular situation, then other posters will be able to offer advice better suited to you.

What kind of projects do you have in mind?
Available power - 120v, 240v
Space available
Access to shop area (large doors / garage door, standard door, stairs?)
Budget

(whatever other points people think would be good that apply broadly).

Some other things to consider addressing, these may not apply to all
Prior or related experience
Do you feel comfortable evaluating a used machine?
Do you need to move the machine once it is in place (lightweight and portable for one person, movable with assistance, equipment required to move).
Is this a long term shop location, or is a move likely in the future.

Now I'll be the first to say this information is not that different from much that is being suggested. The difference comes in how it is presented.

The checklist format to me sort of puts it back on the poster to answer their own questions, and many are asking some fairly in depth questions, that may be well over their head. It is also very formal.

My impression is we are trying to get from

Hey guys, I want to buy a lathe. I took some metal shop in high school (35 years ago ha, ha) and I think it would be fun to have a lathe to tinker with, what should I look for.

and get to something more like

Hey guys, I'm looking at buying a lathe. I took metal shop in high school a long time ago, and I liked it. I'm not sure what I'd do with it, but I'm into restoring old motorcycles and underwater basket weaving so I'd probably find some things to use it for related to that. I only have a one car garage, and my wife wants to be able to park the car in it, so I'm not going to have a lot of room. I'm also renting so I can't get a 240v outlet. I already asked the landlord because I bought a welder and had to buy a small one because he said no. I'm looking to spend $1500-2000 but could probably manage $2500. My friend has one of the tiny Harbor Freight lathes which is kind of cool but I'd really like something bigger than that.

The worksheets / checklists posted so far, seem like they are a couple steps beyond that goal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back