[Documentation] Working Group - Thread Collection - Place Links, Source Materials, Images we want to use here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
@graham-xrf can verify, he has 2 earlier than mine that are MT3.
Confirmed - I did see the contrary published data. I did absolutely physically check out the lathe(s).
South Bend 9s have MT3 in headstock, and MT2 in tailstock. Thus I managed to purchase the correct taper collet adapter set.

Any newcomer would appreciate having the correct steer warning. South Bends are damn tough, long lived, precision machines at a size and price attractive to many beginners (me too).

I am in awe of the contribution by @Aaron_W !! Such work is much appreciated.

I may have gone off the deep end on this list of "small" lathes.

In the end I made the criteria bench and table top machines, of no more than 600lbs, so there are a couple of 12 and 13" lathes in there. It also means the South Bend Heavy 10, a fairly popular smaller lathe is not included, because it was not (as far as I could find) ever sold as a bench model, only with an underdrive and cabinet. To me moving a lathe with a cabinet base adds another level of complexity, and is really getting away from my initial idea which was mostly focused on mini-lathes. You can blame Atlas / Sears and their relatively lightweight and popular 12" lathe for the mission creep, I was going to cut it off at 10".

This is also by no means meant to be all encompassing, I tried to leave it to machines that a search of Craigslist or Ebay (or similar) are likely to turn up on a regular basis, not list every lathe that might be out there. There are some great smalI lathes for a hobbyist that were only made in small numbers, but we have to leave some mystery to keep things interesting. I also did not include watch makers lathes, they are small but rather specialized and probably not what a first time lathe buyer is looking for.
I did get far more into the non-USA market lathes, than I had intended, but I found it kind of fascinating. Hopefully also useful to our non-USA members and some probably do turn up in the US from time to time. I also now find myself wanting a Myford 7 or a Danish SR80... The SR80 is not on the list, a little too obscure and I couldn't find enough info to complete the chart. Cool looking little lathe though.

The intent of the list is just to give a person some suggestions once they have an idea of their space, weight and budget constraints. A jumping off point for further research. I did not get into features like back gears, gap beds, the option to add a milling column etc (I probably would have but thankfully ran out of columns).

In all 119 lathes listed.

Data came from a variety of sources. The Lathes UK, and Vintage Machinery sites were invaluable for info on older machines, manufacturers and sales sites provided for most of the detail on the current crop of lathes. At least one member was kind enough to get me some measurements of their lathe. I'm sure there are some errors, but should be pretty close. All prices are in US dollars, even those not sold in the US. Again a jumping off point and using one currency makes comparisons easier.

Uploading two files, the first is a simpler 2 color list, grey and white rows to make it easier to stay in your lane when reading across the list. The second I added a color code, blue for current lathes you can buy new and grey for out of production lathes (they are old so grey ;) ).

It was only after I finished that the history nerd in me realized I had selected the uniform colors of the American Civil War. Considering how contentious the new import vs old iron debate can get perhaps that is appropriate.

I'm also working on a version with metric values but thought I'd get these posted.

Comments, suggestions, criticisms welcome.
Aaron! Praise! Nice work! I can imagine this will be very useful and we can add/delete/edit as time passes. Really excellent and many thank for pulling this information together. This will definitely go in the sticky as a reference document.

I've noticed a few typos and the MT2/3 thing is clearly more wide spread than just the SB9. I'll make these changes and re-post.

Looking at the physical dimensions of an MT2 it would not be physically possible to use it with a spindle of 3/4", since the largest diameter is 0.7", it would just slip right through. Good that you brought this up, because that confirms none of the SB9 clones can possibly use an MT2 either.

I also found the 10" Rockwell with a spindle bore of 15/16" also said MT2 in their documentation which clearly can't be true. I wonder what the deal was with all these companies saying to use an MT2 taper.
Of course Erik has found a similar issue with his 16" PM lathe listing an incorrect size as well, so this must still be an issue. Perhaps not as bad as some of the literature I found on Chinese mini-lathes, at least one gave the swing over the bed as 7" with a swing over the cross slide of 14" :oops: um, yeah that is now how that works. Obviously that was really the centers distance so a typo or misunderstanding of the numbers.

Does the color coordinated make it too busy? I considered just making one with everything and then making two separate lists, one for new and one for vintage to make it easier to go through if only interested in one. The data collection was the most time consuming part, particularly for the vintage machines where finding it all in one spot was rare. Putting the information into different formats (other than metric which is a lot of math conversions) is fairly simple.

If anybody notices a popular lathe that is missing, let me know, and I'll see about adding it. The USA stuff was fairly easy since I live here, but those in Australia, Canada and the UK or Europe likely have other options available. I'm seriously thinking about looking for an SR80 the next time I visit my friend in Denmark. They are in production but I can't find much info on them, bringing it home in my checked baggage might be an interesting experience.

I'm thinking about doing the same kind of thing for common larger hobby machines, but that will be awhile. I started this list last year, for something I am working on elsewhere so already had the specs for many of the US market mini-lathes more or less done. Army Doc posted a list with some of the 12-14" lathes.

Last edited:
Something else that could be thrown is, learning to use the dials helps the learning curve, DRO's are great, but if you don't know how to use dials, if the DRO fails, you are screwed.

It has been a bit, but while making edits and doing a metric specs version I ended up adding another 41 lathes for a total of 160 from a 2.2" swing to 13".

Granted a lot are very similar Chinese lathes sold under a variety of brands. I still didn't get all of them but think I got most of the major brands sold in the US, Canada, EU and Australia / NZ as well as a lot of vintage lathes that are common or if not common at least potentially interesting.

Not sure where they would go in the downloads which looks to be mostly manuals and such.

Metric and inch, as well as versions color coding to highlight current production and vintage machines.

Attachments

• Bench Top Lathes.docx
    90.7 KB · Views: 6
  • Bench Top Lathes color coded new and used.docx
    92.5 KB · Views: 5
  • Bench Top Lathes Metric.docx
    89.3 KB · Views: 1
  • Bench Top Lathes Metric Color coded new and used.docx
    92.1 KB · Views: 1
It has been a bit, but while making edits and doing a metric specs version I ended up adding another 41 lathes for a total of 160 from a 2.2" swing to 13".

Granted a lot are very similar Chinese lathes sold under a variety of brands. I still didn't get all of them but think I got most of the major brands sold in the US, Canada, EU and Australia / NZ as well as a lot of vintage lathes that are common or if not common at least potentially interesting.

Not sure where they would go in the downloads which looks to be mostly manuals and such.

Metric and inch, as well as versions color coding to highlight current production and vintage machines.
@Aaron_W , is this your most recent? I'm creating the forum over in the Beginners sub-forum and am going to move this post over there.

Hey guys, the sub-forum is up in the Beginners section. I've uploaded the files and checklists that have been consolidated from everybody's input. Special thanks to @Aaron_W for his detailed diligence in compiling the equipment lists and to @extropic for his well of patience and expertise as we worked through consolidating all of the input.

Try to point new people in that direction. I'll put some links up in common areas to point them over there as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back